Friday 9 January 2009

Something really positive

As I visit people door to door I discover a significant number of people who rarely venture out of their houses.

This is not because they cannot move through their rooms, as they seem perfectly able when they get me a cup of tea (and even a chocolate biscuit). It seems they have lost the habit of venturing outside. Their shopping is brought in by relatives/ friends and their entertainment provided by the TV.

"I haven't been out for five years" was one remark in South Ulverston.

"Why did you let me in?"

"I saw your name in the paper!"

Then on Croftlands:

" The lady next door but one - she's nice - but I haven't seen or spoken to her for two years - I don't go out anymore. " Yet this person used to run a thriving pub only a couple of years ago.

These people haven't got real problems compared with some that suffer with a lot of pain, but it's all in the mind maybe!

An article in the mail
recently highlights a course in Ulverston designed to help. It is run by someone who has been down this tunnel and seen the light and come out the other end - coping but not cured.

“When living with a long-term condition, you can get isolated and shut yourself away and don’t answer the phone or the door and it’s very difficult to get out of that."

Marie Blackburn, from Penrith CVS, now co-ordinates a new programme in Ulverston due to start on January 19th.

She said: “I got my life back. The main message that we have to get across is that life is hard for everybody and can be really tough, but having a long-term condition makes it a bit more challenging.”

If you know someone who might be encouraged to get involved, then contact Mrs Blackburn on 01768 868649 or e-mail her at Marieb@cumbriacvs.org.uk

No comments: