Monday 29 March 2010

Another fantastic event at the Coro

Great to have the batteries recharged by these superb performers who travel here from Manchester.

Sad that there are many who completely miss out on what could be the event of a lifetime. They could have filled those occasional empty seats.

Yes the Manchester Camerata visited the town with a Piano Concerto by Chopin.



We need to bring our youngsters along to be inspired.

I was, at the age of nine with regular visits to the Paris Opera House, immediately after the war. Not by the opera but by the Ballet.

I still remember the rose petals being showered down on us from the ceiling of the hall. What an experience.

And we've got the same possibility for youngsters here in Ulverston. What are their parents thinking of to miss this opportunity?

We need all the live inspiration from real people that we can find.

2 comments:

Gladys Hobson said...

Living near Nottingham when I was young, I used to visit the Theatre Royal — sitting in the 'gods' of course. I especially loved visits of the ballet companies. We also visited the Little Theatre and Albert Hall. We had very little money but we bought records for our wind-up gramophone. No Tv or electronic games to divert us. But when our school took us to the cinema to see Henry 5th I fell asleep! Boring, boring!
I loved to go to cinemas too. I enjoyed dramatic films rather than musicals. My friend and I put on little concerts in an attic - just for our families.
I don't visit any theatre now. I can't sit for long and the seats don't allow for leg movement, and standing up to relief spine pressure is just not done!
There is nothing like a live theatre. I can't understand those youngsters who prefer to booze their lives away when there is so much beauty and joy to be had through cultural pursuits.
(Sports too, but I was never athletic. Although I enjoyed going to events and watch my brother run.)

Geoff Dellow said...

Leg room.

We always choose row 'H' as it's the route to the fire doors and always had a wide gap between the rows.

If you choose to be at the outside ends of the row you could get up and have a walk around without disturbing anyone.

See you at the next concert?