Sunday 14 February 2010

A talent with working with wood

Yesterday morning, I visited Sue Swatridge's workshop high above the A590 in the opposite direction to Lindale, near Grange.

She made the much admired bench in The Gill and has now made me a one legged stool which I went to collect. This will enable a third person to sit with us as we sit out in front of our house - I'll be moving onto the stool! It becomes stable when my two legs provide the rest of three point support necessary!

Sue takes naturally occurring shapes in trees like the oaks that have been felled so that there is the minimum of waste resulting in quirky and very sturdy furniture.

For the three legs of a table she takes a tree that naturally has three branches coming out together. In this way no wood joints are required for the leg and just one need to join the legs to the table top.

With this original approach she has produced beautiful locally occurring hardwood furniture that costs a fraction of what traditional furniture would.

4 comments:

Gladys Hobson said...

I have seen a lot of that 'natural growing wood' furniture around lately. I don't know if I have seen any of Sue's but it is great to have old crafts flourishing, combined with artistic skill and flair for the unusual. Pity Sue does not have examples on her web site (or did I miss a button to click?)

Geoff Dellow said...

Yes Gladys you missed gallery on the right of the home page ie:

gallery

Anonymous said...

one legged stool which way up do you use it?

Geoff Dellow said...

The comfortable way!