Tuesday 1 September 2009

EXASPERATED

Geoff,
Some time ago I sent you emails about getting a bench moved in Cross St . I corresponded with Jayne Kendall and John Bath at Capita.
I thought it would be a simple matter that could be done in a week or two i.e. to move a bench about 50 yards so that old people can sit with their shopping until a taxi appears.
First I was told the seats were in store, then was told the Probation service would <> them - how long can it take to paint a bench ? Now the Probation are <> to cope with this huge job.
Four months later we are no nearer and the only person to have been any help is Norman B-R.
Even he cannot get things moving because now the GPO think it is a security risk to have seat under their window.
I bet you are glad you didn't get elected as I'm sure this typifies local government. IT IS SO EXASPERATING .This type of thing is bound to have an effect on elected councillors .


I agree with you this is why I'm resorting to just doing the job myself when ever I can and ignore local government and councillors - hence The Gill Banks project and coming up that at Lightburn Park. Maybe the public will begin to feel the same. Even councillors like Colin Williams face evasive action when he comes to try and get rusting lamposts repainted.

The system is going to pot - or has it always been like this with bureaucrats taking control and we're just beginning to notice?

2 comments:

Gladys Hobson said...

Is this something to do with cost? Sounds silly but if paperwork, transport and wages of workmen (plus supervisor?) etc etc are taken into the equation maybe it adds to a ridiculous cost. Of course, maybe there are those who do NOT want the seat moving, would there have to be a vote?
If it gets mysteriously shifted, who would object? Or is it a hanging offence and Police detectives put on the case?
It seems to me, far better for honest citizens to use their initiative to do odd jobs if no one is hurt by them, rather than all the paperwork and cost involved by going through channels.

Geoff Dellow said...

I get the impression it's mainly the GPO that feel their security is threatened.

I'm all for doing it anyway and see how the bureaucrats react. But this is become a theme of mine.

Do it: be asked questions later.

The Gill Banks initiative seems to work. James Airey our new local county councillor thinks they're great.
No word from officialdom - about this or the replacement cobbles in Lower Brook Street.

Lightburn Puddles coming up - my back's feeling a lot better!

Action team at the ready!