Sunday 18 October 2009

A spate of Graffiti

Three lots of graffiti have recently appeared in the area around Soutergate.

Can we ask any kids with spray cans (black) to account for themselves?

Just cleaned a swastika off the play equipment in Mill Dam Playground.

It comes off well with white spirit but not detergent (Mr Muscle) - more difficult when on breeze block - any advice?

Tuesday - I just had a go at the ejaculating penis in the alleyway next to 46 Soutergate.

Comes off with white spirit first, followed by dishwasher detergent and a scrubbing brush.

I'd be glad to be part of a team to deal with this - Tom? (You were involved in getting the stuff off Hoad Monument weren't you?) Could be Ulverston's version of Ghost Busters!

* * * * * * * *

My attitude over the last couple of years has changed:

I used to think it was someone else's responsibility to deal with these minor irritations but now I think very differently.

If one becomes concerned and try to get 'them' (usually the council) to do something about an issue one can get very frustrated with inaction.

Now, I realise it takes less energy to do small jobs myself than write/phone and ask someone else to do the job.

So now I've come to the decision to do many jobs myself if I can.

This includes , picking up litter (I've seen many others do the same), pick up other people's dog mess and now deal with graffiti.

Going along with this is a willingness to tell people off if they are causing problems - so far so good!

Several people have been very apologetic over dog mess "I'll go and pick it up, I can see that you're annoyed" - as steam is shooting out my ears!

What do others think. What does Colin Hodgson recommend when it's on his ward (Mill Dam Playing area) ?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today i spotted the words "GAY END" in black spray paint near the new flats where the school was, i also spotted "SUCK MY THROBING BLACK MEMBER" near the old slaughter house.

Someone must know who sold these people the spray paint. It left my mother (78) shocked that people are doing such things.

Geoff Dellow said...

Thanks for the information.

You make a good point about the sale of spray paint.

Anonymous said...

I spotted one on lightburn park this morning while out with the dog,sorry Geoff but it said 'dellows a cunt' again in black spray paint

Geoff Dellow said...

Nothing new.

This started on the Nowhere drinking rant.

I's cropped up in various places.

For the most part this is mindless.

I doubt they even know what "Dellow" means.

It's a sad reflection on people who haven't anything better to do.

However, its not something to ignore.

We must engage with these people so that they see us a real people rather than cardboard cutouts.

The first step is to smile at other people, then to talk and finally to communicate about things that are important to us.

Anonymous said...

It should be on camera then if it is in the park

Geoff Dellow said...

BTW White spirit followed by dishwasher liquid and a scrubbing brush is a quick answer!

I've done two now - over to some of you!

Then we can talk about something else!

Anonymous said...

I have seen this "GAY END" which you speak of and I am appauled. I think these spray painters should be caught and have their faces sprayed black...to constantly remind them of how awful they truely are!

Geoff Dellow said...

I'm not entirely convinced by this type of reaction.

My dictionary : Appalled - greatly dismayed or horrified

The use of this word suggests to me an intense emotion.

If people feel this strongly why do they only suggest actions that involve OTHER people doing something.

Why don't they consider doing something themselves?

There are very few people that are incapable of getting a scrubbing brush out and having a go at removing the stuff even if it's only what they can reach.

If it was in the culture of the town that this kind of thing was unacceptable and it was removed quickly by the locals then youngsters and their parents would quickly get the message.