Sunday 3 January 2010

Piano again

What I'm discovering with the piano is that I'm slowly learning the sound that I get when I play any three notes down together. I'm hoping that in time I will think a sound and be able to instinctively know which notes to play. I already have chord sequences that I like.

I deliberately play what I know will be "out of tune chords" from keys that have nothing to do with the one I'm in just to see what happens and then find my way back to harmony with the original key I started in - which is usually C sharp minor!

I find my hand fits round the notes easily.

A reoccurring thought is that I couldn't possibly play the notes that I play if they where written down - there would be so many sharps, flats and modifications.

I often start with a tune that I know or one I've made up and then listen to the effect on this tune of the different harmonies that could be used - any chord of three notes which includes the note I'm playing.

Then I'm looking around for different ways of playing a chord, notes together, one after the other jumping and octave as an arpeggio etc

Now I hear the way various composers harmonise with the tune they are playing.

Then there's the rhythm I chose.

So many variables and scope for variation.

With a really good piano (which I don't have) one can just enjoy the sounds created. This is where I migrate to any grand that happens to be sitting in a public place and have a tinkle for a few minutes.

So this is one of my new interests (an old one that is being greatly extended).

1 comment:

Gladys Hobson said...

'sounds' brilliant. I have no musical talent whatsoever but I admire your sense of musical adventure.