Sunday 3 January 2010

Flowers for Ulverston's Public places

Readers of this blog may remember that Chiltern Seeds of Ulverston gave us hundreds of packets of the seeds for use in Ulverston.

In order to grow plants for planting out, from these, I am buying a green house.



Here is the one I'm in the process of choosing.

I have found a neglected part of our small garden on which to erect it.

It will get plenty of sun but until a week ago it was a pile of rubble overgrown with ivy and brambles which hasn't been touched for thirty years.

As you can guess the ivy roots are enormous - up to 2 inches diameter. The only way to shift these is with a pick-axe assuming one can get the rocks out for the blade to penetrate. As you can guess , progress is slow. The secret is to do a little at a time and I'm at the end of my first week. Most of the task is complete.

I only have a basic knowledge of gardening and am totally overwhelmed by the size of the task ahead.

I'm spending a lot of time reading up on greenhouses on the internet as I recover from my exertions each day and am narrowing my choice to one 6 feet by 8.

I'll first have to rebuild some of an old drystone wall, build up some brick wall and lay a concrete base.

I'm hoping to use the plants on the planters in Gill Banks and start with cultivating some new beds in the Mill Dam play ground that I helped get built many years ago.

I hope to get help and guidance from SLDC.

If there's an interest, we can also provide flowers for Lightburn Park and other areas of the town.

All suggestions are most welcome in the many parts of this project. If there's an area of ground you'd like some flowers in , let me know.

No comments: