Wednesday 13 January 2010

Snow and Ice

From Tim Farron MP:

"I've received hundreds of e-mails, phone calls and letters about the recent icy conditions in recent weeks - particularly from older people, some of whom have been trapped in their homes since before Christmas.

Like many of you, I am furious that the Conservative-led County Council failed to clear pavements and residential roads when they had the chance - and also that they did not provide sufficient grit for residents to use themselves.

Much of the current problems are being caused by the compacted ice left behind from the first snow-fall before Christmas. I will be asking for a full investigation into why gritting was not carried out in all areas earlier - and am determined to hold county council bosses to account for their failures.

On the positive side, even though gritting is the county council's responsibility, South Lakeland District Council offered up their staff to help with the clear up. In recent days in Kendal and Windermere, SLDC staff have been out clearing ice and snow. It’s at times like these when it’s really important that people pull together. Many people I've spoken to are still snowed in and have not seen gritters so I am working hard to make sure gritters go to those places. People in South Lakeland deserve so much better.
I spent time last week with a team of volunteers on Maude Street in Kendal, clearing a path through the ice and snow for elderly residents at Nobles Rest so that they could safely access the town centre. As with the recent floods, we have come together as a community and helped one another.

We desperately need the county council to pull their weight and give local council tax payers the service they pay for. I am calling for a full investigation into what happened to make sure it never happens again.

Finally, I just want to wish you, your family and friends a great 2010. And as always if I can help in any way please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes
Tim

Tim Farron MP
Acland House
Yard 2
Stricklandgate
Kendal
LA9 4ND

Tel: 01539 723403
Fax: 01539 740800"

From James Airey, County Councillor

"Hi Geoff

I know you mean well, I am sorry I am giving vague answers but that's what I am receiving from Officers. I am pushing them like mad for action and will continue to do so as soon as I have definite information I will forward it to you. The Town Council can request its own supply of grit as long as it can get it tipped and stored somewhere handy that would enable residents to
pick up their own supplies for community use.

Many Parish Councils have already done this.

I am interested in all issues in Ulverston or I would not have stood for Election.

Regards James."

Some of Tim's statements are rather hollow - blaming the Tories - when all parties are responsible for the workings of our Highways Department.

"Calling for a full investigation". He keeps doing this. Anyone can call for an investigation but do they get one. I've yet to see the results of the last investigation Tim called for - over gritting a year ago!

From James it seems that the officers don't surrender information readily. Isn't this that needs to change?

Town Council with it's own reserves of grit. Sounds great and would be impressive if they actually did it - but will they?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

See tonight's Mail - Cllr. Jill Heath demanded Askam got a pile of grit ,to which each parish is entitled ,not only that but she and others spent a day gritting streets. Brilliant ! And Ulverston councillors did what exactly ?

lakeuk said...

I noticed the mention of C in the statement and asked Tim (via twitter) if this meant his councilors had to go through conservative councilors to get to the council depts, bit of a dumb question but hey the statement can be read in many ways. He was good to reply that Lib Dem councilors have the freedom to speak directly with the depts.

With the work he's done over the past few weeks the point scoring quotes are not neccessary, expect its the party spin dept adding that bit in. It's a part 'politics' I hate which will only increase across all parties in the run up to the elections. I sure the spin machine see all this a game.

I have wondered from all this whether to local councilors have any powers against the county council, there's been no responses from our local councilors, everyone as a result are by passing and going to the local mp. Tim's certainly earned brownie points with the snow