Sunday 26 September 2010

I did it myself - a resounding cry - from a three and a half year old

These were the words that made a tremendous impression on me yesterday as I heard this young boy repeat them with pride several times as he struggled with his bike, with stablisers, up and down our pavements.

He is used to having the responsibility of being in charge of his bike if he decides to go out on it.

Up till yesterday he has struggled to lift his bike up most pavement curbs and looked to an adult for assistance. Not an easy task - getting that front wheel up onto the curb and then yanking the three back wheels to follow.

Yet yesterday the adult was able to let the youngster have total responsibility.

Here I thought is a young man who will be taking charge of his life through thick and thin in the future.

It gives an old man great encouragement to see this confidence and self belief emerging in someone so young.

No comments: