Saturday 8 December 2012

The John O Gaunt, Lancaster

"Always start at the top"

Has been my motto throughout my life - and it's worked time and time again.

As far as I know, this is the top venue in the area for music. So for my first gig, I started here.

I had a great time playing at this friendly pub in Lancaster.  Saturday evening. This is my first time playing in a pub. I had a great reception - everyone was very warm and complimentary as I played my clarinet, flat out, on my own, with full undivided attention, eyes close, for half an hour, improvising freely on my favourite mp3s using the Roland 'cube' I've just bought. Yes - "I will survive" was one of the first to be played, "Yesterday" followed soon after, and with "Dr Jazz" I let fly with every ounce of energy I had - absolutely full blast, no holding back, whatever note I played was the 'right' one!

I played well despite  my clarinet having a fault : one of the notes wouldn't play. I quickly learnt to skirt round this so that it was less of a problem; there was enough noise in the pub to persuade the listeners that they had missed a note - not me.

Now I've dipped my toe in and had a good experience - I'm ready for more! Confidence running high.

Very tired - but immensely happy!

How did I get in? Well I had played their old piano and made it sing to 'wild aclaim' from the regulars for ten minutes at a previous visit.

I believe it is always worth at least asking for what you want. Amazingly a high proportion of the time you get it.

4 comments:

Gladys said...

WELL DONE! Not easy sticking your neck out.

Geoff Dellow said...

Thanks Gladys,

It certainly took a lot out of me!

Last night I slept 12 hours between 8 pm and 9 pm. First time for at least 20 years.

Off to practice another two hours I guess - at least until I stop having fun.

Anonymous said...

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination
and life to everything.”
― Plato
You are a joy,play for your own enjoyment,it transmits to others.
JAK

Geoff Dellow said...

What a great thought to start the new year.

With that I'll go happily to bed.