Monday 3 December 2012

Salting our roads and pavements

The County Council Highways Department are doing an amazingly good job. Well done.

All the signs are there that we have an incredibly good service here in Ulverston. All the main and even minor roads in town have been dusted with salt grit. The pavements in town are also treated. All the Green bins are stocked up full with salt ready for the community to to join in maintaining our roads and pavements to a high standard.

May I remind residents that the salt provided is NOT there for use on people's drives or private land. Should we get snow won't it be great to see the public working together to clear their own sections of pavement so that we can walk all over our town safely.

We all know that time to clear the snow is immediately after the snow has fallen and before anyone has trodden on it. Acting straight away is by far the most affective way. Making sure that we have the best tools ready to go will be important. I'll be out filming the areas that demonstrate a great cooperation so that we can see our work on Youtube. As in previous years I suspect that we'll all be out there clearing the snow within hours of the snow landing in our part of town. It's a great time to renew that community spirit of people working together to solve a problem.

The County Highways Team have shown us how to work well: I'm looking forward to seeing the public act equally responsibly so that we all feel good about our town. This spirit will I believe provide a great lift to those that are feeling at all depressed by the problems they face with hardships hitting them from all directions.

Here's a very practical way that we can all work together.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen any salt and grit in our area. I suppose we have to complain — again!

Geoff Dellow said...

Why not spell out where you are?

Geoff Dellow said...

I promised to go round the salt boxes tomorrow , Friday 7th December,with my camera, so that will be the first thing I do. I've decided that when I make a commitment - I just do it.

Anonymous said...

On Wednesday I spoke to the person directly responsible at the SLDC for salt bins. They assured me that as of Thursday the procedure to fill was underway. I'm not entirely certain what outcome will be achieved by filming empty bins, the SLDC don't work by ESP. I believe what would be a more appropriate action at this point is to make them aware by contacting them with constant requests to fill local bins. Try generating press coverage as the weather is now closing in and we need to make pavements and roads safe. I for one will be contacting them again on a regular basis.

Geoff Dellow said...

Thanks.
I'm considering what you say. My view is that if they are doing their job they shouldn't need telling the obvious, only what they wouldn't otherwise know. Filming empty bins puts them on the spot; it IS press coverage and is easier for me. Phoning also works; I leave that to you.

A combined approach works best.

Geoff Dellow said...

A quick wip round by bike to the car parks here in Ulverston shows that none of the yellow bins have been filled. Filming rescheduled for Monday in view of the above posts.

This gives SLDC another day . . . .

Geoff Dellow said...

I now read in the Eve Mail that SLDC aren't going to fill the yellow bins anyway - because people have been 'stealing it'. Yes me! to put on the pavements in our area and maybe some on our road. Once again there's a tangle between CCC and SLDC. Where have I come across that one before?

Oh yes. SLDC can't get CCC to put a sign up in the Market Square to their cark park in Stockbridge Lane. Listed as the top priority at a 'consultation on improvements to Ulverston' with Nick Raymond by all those that sat through three two hour meetings. Result the Nick put the request at the bottom of his list where it got stuck. Reason "A sign like this to a car park would be promoting the use of the car - not desirable.

I can still remember the cry of despair from a 'humble' resident as he walked out having endured the 6 hour process.

"What a bloody farce", he cried loudly and was carried off to hospital. Or is my memory failing me slightly?

Since then my resolve has been - Never go to another consultation!