Sunday 2 December 2012

You may wish to book this date

I shall be playing my clarinet with all the passion that I can summon up in what is for me an alien environment - a pub. The Old Friends,  Sunday afternoon 16th December. This could well be my first encounter with the public in a pub. Can I perform there with the same freedom and intensity that I am able to deliver here in my own living room?

I believe , based on my experience of playing 'on my own' in the Market Square for six or seven weeks now, I am ready for this challenge. Looking back I have received many compliments, I have been clapped by critical friends telling me that I hit my notes with 'perfection' - "That was amazing  - you got that just right". I have been given money by strangers because they enjoyed my music, I have watched, as I played, total strangers begin to dance without realising it to the music I was performing - probably because I too was dancing as I played and was transmitting those vibes. Music is the language of the emotions - one never knows what can happen when we are touched by the deep emotions of another person who is pouring out all the passion and enjoyment from inside his being via the skill with a musical instrument. I have seen it done hundreds of times by skilled performers : now it's my turn.

I'm fortunate that I'm going in with the experience that I know that I can do it. It will be even more poignant if I find others travel specially to hear me on this occasion.

I shall only be playing music that excites me strongly - so you'll learn a little about me. At the same time, I'll be learning about you as to whether my "performance turns you on". I've learnt that I can perceive and read the body language of those listening and see whether I'm communicating effectively with you to cause you the enjoyment that I'm feeling. Note I shall expect you to listen - or else I could stop.

If you're there you'll be at my first gig of many hundreds that will follow in the years to come. I intend to be very good in five years time as I'm aware that I'm 'on a roll' because I know I'm clearly better this week than the last. This encourages me to practise like crazy and thus reap the benefits of being an excellent musician.

My strengths are in improvising, playing my ear - playing whatever enters my head at the time. Being able to think, on the spur of the moment, a series of notes and way of playing them and just emit them without thinking - as you can imagine it's very exciting when you know you have produced something special. Come and judge for yourself. If you can't sit and really listen , then stay away. A performer can play some nasty tricks on those that show disinterest unjustifiably.

No comments: