Tuesday 5 August 2008

What I find annoying about the Town Councillors


Photo taken by Geoff Dellow at South Bank, London.

I've now spoken three times at the Town Council meeting.

What is disappointing is they don't appear to listen or care about what you are trying to talk to them about, whereas out on the street, the people of the town support the skateboarders.

Two Victoria High School students who did a work experience project with me on skateboarding demonstrated this in their street interviews that have been published.

Twice I asked for support for skateboarding facilities in the town, not just one super place at Lightburn Park, but several small runs were kids can practice closer to home so their parents can take an interest.

The Town Councillors are for the most part totally out of touch with local people (they are referred to as the Muppet show) as is demonstrated by the behaviour of Janette Jenkinson, the present mayor, below. I know of not one councillor who is really keen and pushing hard now on this issue, though Colin Williams tried hard at Ford Park.

Everything is being left to Tom Bowden at Working Class Heroes.

Now I am willing to bet £50 that if - and it's a big if - Tom manages to pull off the raising of a large sum of money for the scheme at Lightburn Park the following will happen:

Our Mayor will ponce about in her gold chain at an official opening of the park and have her photo taken as though it was all her doing.

Well don't you believe it - it will have been thanks to the determination of Tom and his helpers who spent hours filling out lottery fund applications.

When I talked last at the meeting about how to get the cobbles repaired, a small group of councillors approached me.

"When can we talk to you one evening about skate boarding facilities?" they said.

I said as soon as you like and gave them my card - and that was nearly a month ago.

Will a councillor with some backbone please stand up and be counted?

There are some hopeful signs amongst the new councillors just elected. One young man had an strong hand shake (see 'kissing' below) and I was impressed by another woman who came to my door canvassing - I'll post their names here as soon as I'm sure of them.

Perhaps things are looking up!

What is really damning is the statement made by 81 year old Maureen Foxon who I've just got to know well. She's the mother of the former Mayor and states that

"They're all so apathetic - most have been in office far too long"

What we need is some young new blood - and preferably non-party followers - like me a young 73 year old independent ! !

No comments: