Monday 28 March 2011

The Census Form

My - how frustrating.

Finally got round to trying to fill this in.

My problem is that I believe the questions actually mean something.

But when it asked me to comment on my main occupation, I flipped.

They'll have to consult with me to help me decide which is my Main one.

Was it being a student which I did until I was 24 - obviously not.

Was it Chemical Engineering - at Glaxo then at Shell in California ?

Was it Entrepeneur in the Holiday business at The Falls converting barns, hotel, providing a food service to the several barns.

Was it Health Food Market Stall followed by restaurant, live music, jewellery and gifts and loads of beans at The Corner House - now Oxfam.

Or was it teaching in a high school, or in a primary school or both together or being a IT consultant.

Or is/was it 'politics', grass roots community work doing pottery, candles, and now flags.

Or is it as a budding pianist.

Or acting my (inside) age immitating a three year old? - Hand - Handhandhand Hand Hand - No Cars, No cars, Nocki nocki nocki, No cars , Hooray - jump we've made it. Bike bikebikebike - watch out everyone - ready or not here we come. Varum varumvarum wheeeeeee.

Or prospective Cafe runner which was my 'job' last week.

I hate little boxes and being encouraged to squeeze into them.

I like to think that thinking out of the box is my main occupation and has been all my life.

How does this concept  - - - - -

Fit in a box?

No doubt someone will show me soon.

4 comments:

Gladys Hobson said...

You are the same as me and my hubby — RETIRED.
In my book, Retired means no salary but busy busy busy whether at home or in the community. (Except for those who are too incapacitated to achieve the things they would like very much to do)

Geoff Dellow said...

Speak for yourself Gladys.

Last week I was definitely operating as a small businessman about to set up his own enterprise.

Gladys Hobson said...

I don't speak just for myself but for a great deal of folk my age. (You of course are younger)
I too have a business but such can be no more than a hobby — work many hours for little or no reward. And, like very many others, I have also worked for various charities. This is something retirement enables us to do. At least, those fortunate to have reasonable health. I am amazed at what people achieve in their retirement years.

Good for you if you are thinking of expanding your activities. No doubt you will make a good job of it.

Geoff Dellow said...

Sadly I've had to accept that without others that would be ready to work hard, the running of the Novel Cafe´in town would be too tying.

It's a great opportunity - sad to let it slip through my fingers.

Best wishes to anyone that takes it over.