Wednesday 2 March 2011

Negative comments on this blog

Jeb's unpublished comment -in blue, mine in green

"Lets be clear about this, this is what you wrote:

'In the case of my own SLDC councillor, who loves making the most of his status, far from being helpful, he actually stops SLDC doing things for our area because it would reflect well on me and poorly on him. One civil servant described his actions as 'out of order' when I talked to him recently'

 No action necessary


I didn't write it so I don't have to do anything about it.

But Jeb you said this allegation was serious and you said that if it was true the councillor involved was corrupt - your words not mine.

So you want to comment without action.

If I delivered 'proof' as I believe I can, would you then campaign for me to get elected at the next election, or would you campaign to have the councillor involved defeated?

My past actions - as already documented here on this blog

For my part I am so concerned about 'the system' that I spent a whole year prior to the last County Council election, visiting the homes of half of Ulverston.  Most weeks this was three or four nights a week in order to talk directly to the people I wished to represent; to hear what they had to say. Some of them like the people at Athersmith House told me that no person had ever visited them before - ever.

Along with this, I paid for and printed, many thousands of leaflets and delivered them to some 4,000 houses.

I attended the Rose and Crown and then Poppies most of the Saturday mornings so that I could talk directly with anyone that wanted to discuss anything.

Furthermore I paid someone £5,000 over the year to research the internet on topics relevant to becoming a potential County Councillor. (which is how I got my information on the way Preston deal with their cobbles - amongst many, many other things)

As a result, in the election, I got more votes than two of the candidates - the Liberal Democrat and The Green Party candidate. I was also attributed to being responsible for the defeat of the Labour candidate, who had stood for some twenty years, by a Conservative.

Thus I see no value in satisfying your purient desire for sensational information.

Who said anything about corruption?
You're saying that Hodgson has deliberately, corruptly, done down his own area rather than allow something that would make you look good? (As opposed to be a good thing for his ward).

I said nothing about 'corruptly' that's your word - attempting to crank up the comments here to make them more dramatic.

In fact I would go so far as to say that his actions are perfectly justified if he has received complaints about my involvement with Mill Dam Park, with the planting of 800 flowering plants last year followed by 1,000 crocusses and 600 daffodil and tulip bulbs which are coming up now - all paid for by me; with the repair of the bench, now vandalised again; with the placing of a picnic table by me at a cost of some £120; with the replacement of the latch by a concerned grandparent- requested by me; with the placement of pottery butterflies on the fencing; with the growing of sweet peas for people to pick both here and in the neighbouring Old Pound, having first consulted SLDC Parks department.

So it's conceivable that the councillor involved believed he was acting in the interest of his constituents by instructing SLDC not to cooperate.

The fact is that the civil servant involved believed that the councillor was "out of order" - a fact that I can prove I believe.

Should civil servants suffer for being honest?
And more, that local civil servants know he is doing this? And allow it to go on? That person should be out of a job shouldn't they? Who was it?

If you were suggesting that a civil servant would be out of a job because he was forced to admit something that was true by direct questioning, that would require him to lie to deny an allegation, then:

I would find this extremely offensive, disgusting - suggesting a really warped mentality.

If anything detrimental happens to the person that I talked to, I will campaign flat out, raise HELL, to achieve a just outcome.

The civil servant in question did all he could to avoid saying anything negative - initially refering to councillors as 'members' to which I asked "Does that mean Colin Hodgson". How else could he reply other than admit this was true and go on to say he was "out of order"

So I'm a coward

Well then, publish our 'proof'- otherwise you are a coward. Anyone can make allegations, back yours up, the electors have a right to know.

If you see my behaviour as cowardly - I'm not bothered. On what basis do "the electors have a right to know" when most don't care and would only want to know because it was a bit of scandal which would give them something to gossip about.

They have no right to know from me.
On the other hand they could write to SLDC saying that certain allegations have been made on this blog by Geoff Dellow -

"Could they please investigate and if anything unacceptable has taken place would they take appropriate action?"

They could contact the councillor involved and ask him his side of the story.

This is something that you and anyone else could DO.

Best wishes to Colin Hodgson - just do better - emulate Tom Harvey of Grange!
For my part I have no wish for this councillor or any other of our councillors to be "investigated". I believe that they put a lot of effort into their councillor work. Some of them try hard, attend lots of boring meetings on our behalf. Of the councillors Colin Hodgson is one of the best and their are others who I would like to go before Colin. 

I have a lot admiration for him - he repeatedly speaks out when others are silent.

On the other hand I have no hesitation in telling him that sometimes his behaviour is unacceptable by many of his constutuents and could he change please.

My verdict is "Could do better" - a lot better and so could most of our councillors.

It is sad to see Ulverston going downhill and becoming a Ghost Town whilst Grange -over-Sands is improving thanks to some really gutsy councillors like Tom Harvey who I have seen putting up a hard fight whilst Colin Hodgson keeled over and played dead over the Parking Parks debate before the Cabinet and didn't even raise the issue of the lack of use of Stockbridge Lane (on his patch) and the fact that this car park only raises an average of 15 pence a day per carparking space (£4,000 per year for this 90 space car park given to the town I believe by Miss Richardson for its 'benefit').

Your next negative comments, Jeb and Atticus, are awaited with interest!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Geoff
A nice balance
You are improving it must puberty.

Atticus said...

It seems, Geoff, you have your very own definition of negativity! I was simply trying to get to the bottom of a situation you raised and which affects me as a voter. I am no further on.

Not negative, but confused :

"Colin Hodgson is one of the best."

"...far from being helpful he stops SLDC doing things for our area...."

I hope you'll pardon me - but isn't that just a little bit of a contradiction?!

Geoff Dellow said...

Atticus - not contradictory at all.

The logic is rock solid.

Anonymous said...

cunt

Geoff Dellow said...

"plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" see wiki

Which being translated means "Good one Geoff"

offshore contacts said...

yes and change the letters g o o d to b a d and you have bad

offshore contacts said...

Anyways...You seem to be spending lots of time in front of the computer instead of getting out there! I am going to the town hall today to finally get the ball rolling with the next council elections, this should be fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh, now I see what this is all about. You're going to stand for the council (god help us) and you've opened your election campaign with a salvo of dirty tricks. What a benefit to us all you are.

Jeb.

Geoff Dellow said...

Well done Tom,

It's good to have a post from someone that identifies themselves openly.

I'll be down at the Coro later to have another look at the plans for Ulverston's future.

Sounds as though you're going to stand for one of the SLDC seats.

Brilliant.

It would be good to have a younger view in local politics. We need thinking people whatever their views.

Geoff Dellow said...

Wrong again Jeb.

Not this year anyway!

Geoff Dellow said...

Atticus is still commenting.

I've had enough on this side issue - and it's my blog!

My original point was that I'm enjoying avoiding contact with local politicians where possible.

"Period" - as the Americans would say.

Atticus said...

I'm tired too Geoff. So I'll be contacting the Councillor in question, drawing his attention to the "debate" and asking his side of the story.

For once you really had my interest, then blew it by blustering and backing down.

Geoff Dellow said...

IF you do as you say, then you will finally have done something - well done.

Anonymous said...

Come on Atticus dont hide in the attic stop being a toad, do it ask if it pleases.
Colin and Geoff may clash.
Very healthy. two good men who both make mistakes.
You are a " I dare you boy "
who gets amused "Ha Ha glad it wasn't me he hurt his'self".CHILD.
A Roman