Thursday 26 May 2011

"Straight as a die"

This is the quality in a person that most of us value most of all.

Naturally it's not one that in reality actually exists.

We're, after all, human.

It takes courage to be "straight".

Since none of us really know who we are - it's impossible.

At best we attempt an approximation.

That's why I enjoy the discussion group I join fortnightly on Thursdays.

It helps me sort out who I am and what, deep down, I believe.

We particularly value the quality of being "true to yourself" in the people we meet.

Most of all in the people who seek to lead us.

This is a hard path to follow as a politician.

President Obama is someone who for me qualifies. He comes across as "genuine" and trustworthy - though no one is completely so.

Tim Farron is another.

Thankfully there are some more - Shirley Williams heads the list, Archbishop Tutu another.

What they have to say helps us sort out what we believe ourselves.

Isn't it great that in Ulverston we have so many people who are 'wise'  - they just get on and live; they don't have to say anything; they just 'are' and we learn a lot by being contact and watching them get on with life.

I realise that this is why I enjoy being with young children. They, for the most part, are themselves and don't give others too much thought which I find refreshing. Of the humans we get to know, they are more understandable than those that are older.

May we encourage them to want to be "straight", "true to themselves", and like themselves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man.
That was the Jesuit motto, alleged to be attributed to Francis Xavier, the co-founder of the Jesuit Order.
ALBAN

Geoff Dellow said...

I used to be sceptical about this statement. Now I can see it can be very true.

Worth putting a lot of effort into these early years even though it can be hard going.

Personally I'd break every television in sight of this age group. You can learn a lot through getting bored.

I guess I believe this because I think that I benefitted from a childhood without TV.

I became a great problem solver through playing with what toys I had and a great risk taker through early experiences where I succeeded - in the end - like running away from boarding school at the age of seven - third time I made it home!

Anonymous said...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/police-officer-fined-crashed-drink-drive-suspects-car-photo-121825378.html