Wednesday 5 September 2012

Bullying down on the allotment

For the most part my experience has been one of great trust and friendship amongst allotment holders. Now we refuse to be intimidated by a very small minority of weak people who can only be described by rational humans as lunatics with a mental disorder: people who delight in tormenting others. We are exploring a number of approaches and seeking the advice of experienced police officers in combatting this all too common behaviour from inadequate unhappy people. It can be the characteristic of quite strong people to buckle and seek the quiet life with the result that the bullies are encouraged to more bullying. In this case we are giving each other mutual support in order to discourage the weakminded lunatics and encourage them to like themselves enough to enjoy our friendship which has already been offered to them. More when we have heard the wisdom of our senior Ulverston Police who have already been very supportive and concerned.

8 comments:

Gladys said...

Sounds serious. Is damage being done?

Geoff Dellow said...

Why is damage the concern?

We're taking about intimidation and assault.

Gladys said...

I haven't heard anything about it. Are people being threatened and actually attacked? When does this happen and where? Who are these bullies? Kids? Teenagers? Mindless work-shy louts? Gangs?
I hope things have improved.

Geoff Dellow said...

The bullying and intimidation comes inciduously from people unknown to me but most likely one person with the encouragement of one or two other allotment holders. It is something that needs bringing into the open, talked about and resolved. It is very rare and contrary to the vast majority of interactions between gardeners who are a very friendly lot and a joy to know.

Gladys said...

I guess wherever you go there are people who need to grow up! Good to know there are friendly folk among the gardeners. I'm surprised the others prefer a bad name for themselves. Gardening is a job that's 'down to earth'.

Anonymous said...

Yes its probably one cowardly individual with other cowards guilty by complicity. They are even sadder. Thank god for Law and Order
JAK

Geoff Dellow said...

My gut feeling is that the source of the bullying is either at or close to the holder of site 21.

Otherwise why did he quickly approach me cofrontationally in rage when I stated neutrally that these were the actions of a lunatic and must not be tolerated. I reassured him that I was not making accusations but was telling him how I was sickened at what had happened.(I turned my back and walked away to avoid an escalation).
All the others I've spoken to were eager to assure me that they too were upset by what had happened.

Why had allotment holder no 21 stated that he would leave his plot?

The matter is now in the hands of the police sergeant.

Anonymous said...

Yes my wife feared for your safety as she and another old gentleman had been assaulted.
The criminal damage may have been carried out by another bored individual possibly one of the three she had to report for their blatent breach of rules and consideration for others.
JAK