Saturday 8 September 2012

Why do we want to tease our local politicians?

Cllr Colin Pickthall writes:
"Might I gently and quietly suggest that the insulting references to councillors on your blog, and elsewhere, hardly encourage co-operation, or even responses."

He is referring to my statement:
"Local Councillors are notorious for talking big and doing extremely little."

Insulting? Isn't notoriety akin to fame? Perhaps my warped perception of what in fact is a noble profession - speaking up for the underpriveldged - perhaps I've been wearing the wrong glasses for the last thirty years and should have had a different prescription. I need to change my glasses to rose tinted ones?

Cllr Pickthall I am very receptive to any advice you may have that will encourage co-operation, but realistically; what's the point.

May I very gently suggest that I made a polite request by phone for your assistance in re-enstating the very popular picnic tables on Gill Banks. This was early in May.
You stated that it was early days and it would have to go before the Town Lands Trust Committee.
You have in fact been on that committee since mid May. You have obviously been very busy.

I've heard nothing from you.

Perhaps this is usual for a local politician. Messages need come in threes to be noticed.

At the same time in early May, I contacted my SLDC representative, Cllr Helen Irving, regarding the provision of fencing in Mill Dam Park see below. I also heard nothing.
During the previous weeks I requested repeatedly that she meet me in Mill Dam Park which is just 50 yards away from her house. She agreed but it would have to be in a fortnight or so - I am still waiting.

A little later in May, during a meeting with my County Councillor James Airey I showed him the state of the setts in the Gill that break all the Highways standards on safety. He said he would see to it. The setts have got steadily worse. Now I understand; "seeing to it" means  reporting it - something I imagine that I can manage myself. Apparently it doesn't mean getting the job done. No just putting the job on someones list.

With the previous Town Cllr Colin Williams he stated that a badly needed repair in Lower Brook Street was "fixed" - nothing happened and I did the repair myself breaking the law in the process. Well the repair is good to this day and no one would now know it had been done by an unauthorised person. To him "fixed" meant he had sent an email. . . . .

When about 15 Pot holes needed repair down all the way down Market Street due to poor workmanship of the contractors for Unitied Utilities, the then Cllrs headed by Norman Bishop-Rowe stated that they could get nowhere with the County Council Highways Dept. in getting them fixed. Was I breaking all the rules by contacting the boss of Unitied Utilities directly (with the help of one of their employees who was originally from Ulverston)?
United Utilies apologised in writing for the poor standard of workmanship, sent me a cheque for £25 and came and made good, except for a stretch between New Market Street and Brogden Street which the Highways Department insisted that they should be paid for doing the work because they would be doing the work themselves . . . . Since then United Utilities have done excellent repairs something I've complimented them for, through our regular contacts.

I can go on and on to illustrate that the idea of using your local councillor to get things done - is mostly likely not the best course of action if peace of mind is important. Operating as an individual can usually get work done far more quicker by finding the right person, being polite and assertive and building a relationship of co-operation with the people involved - Work on the wall of Union Lane through the NHS managers, work in Mill Dam through the Parks Engineer.  Market holders get frustrated and  decry the lack of interest shown in their plight through our councillors.  Other towns like, Settle, they find that Cllrs are round regularly to check how they are getting on so that they feel valued and looked after. Sometimes it can be better having no expectation than experiencing a let down. Is this why people like Carl Fines of South Ulverston avoids politicians because he ends up feeling so angry being let down repeatedly.

Over all these experiences I have learnt that if one wants a job doing quickly and well, one is best avoiding a councillor and dealing direct with the people that will do the work.

Sadly I find  - "Local Councillors are notorious for talking big and doing extremely little."

In order to remain sane never assume they will achieve anything. Then extremely rarely a politician comes up trumps.
Former Cllr Jack Rice worked very hard following my attempt to get a result by visiting the SDLC General Meeting and talking about the Car Parking issue. They promised me an answer : it was "the matter is receiving consideration". Jack Rice, even though he wasn't a District Councillor achieved a change in policy over Stockbridge Lane charges by presenting SDLC with hard facts in his report which he extricated from them using Freedom of Information. During his brief time on the Town Council he demonstrated a willingness to take on responsibility (tackling issues outside his remit - Birkrigg Common), and showed tenacity with quiet determination. The opposite of the front page "isn't it terrible" photograph we see over and over again. Then there was Tim Farron MP, some time ago and he isn't even my representative but we have a 'good understanding'. And even further back was District Councillor David Foot who worked hard with little recognition or support as an Independent District Councillor.

 * * * *
Notes: Correspondence with Helen Irving my SLDC representative:
Thanks
Geoff
On 17 May 2012, at 12:46, wrote:

Hi Geoff
I have been tied up with meetings but i will look into this at Milldam
Regards
Helen
----Original Message----
From: gd@tygh.co.uk
Date: May 17, 2012 10:55
To: "Ballantyne, Carl"
Cc: "Judy PICKTHALL", "Helen Irving"
irving@O2.co.uk>, "Margaret Hornby", "David
Pickthall", "James Airey"
Airey@cumbria.gov.uk>
Subject: Re: Mill Dam Park

Thanks Carl,
Yes it clarifies what is going on , however I do not accept the
conclusion.
The fence is clearly the responsibility of the sheltered housing as
the fence, surrounding the then new Sheltered Housing was there before
the park existed. At that time in 1984 there was housing, a fence round
it with what was then barren land  with rubble and broken glass left
behind by the builders on the land that is now our park who built the
housing.
I know because it was I together with a  . . . . . . . .

No comments: