Thursday 31 January 2013

Ethanol in petrol damages the car engine

Anyone who has drunk old wine will be aware that the alcohol (ethanol)becomes oxidised to vinegar (hence the name). The OH grooup reacts with air to form COOH groups and other nasties. Andy, a friend of mine noticed damage to his motorbike engine and investigate. He found it was due to the fact that nearly all petrol these days contains ethanol - referred to as biofuel. Most petrol in the States contains 10% some can contain as much as 15%. Car manufacturers are sueing the petrol companies because they have evidence that the presence of ethanol damages the car engine. This seems obvious when you think about it. Worth looking into. He tells me Texaco's petrol doesn't contain ethanol and is preferred.

I leave you to investigate further.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Why are oil co's putting ETOH in gasoline?.
Must be to do with money what purpose can redox serve?.
I expect it is something sinister to do with money?.
Many Years ago I was on a drive with a Mexican friend from TJ to DF all the gas stations had the same name.

I asked my friend why and he told me that Standard Oil et al were trying to economically rape Mexico and the gov said no.

All the gas stations in Mexico are called Pemex and they are all owned by the gov and gas is cheap.