Thursday 17 January 2013

Word Press

Why Wordpress?



First, I aim to improve this web site by making it more interesting - there is a distinct downside in all theposting being made chronologically - there are some great stories, pictures and videos that are buried and difficult to find. For this reason I'm going to change to Wordpress.



It's a source of software that will enable you to design very good web sites because it uses the world resources of free software brought together by a voluntary organisation with a web site called wordpress.org

This is very different to wordpress.com which is a commercial site that never-the-less offers free blogging facilities in the similar way that Google offers the blogspot.com facilities that I'm using now.



At the moment people are making money by :

1. Using it to design web sites

2. Teaching others how to use Wordpress sometimes at extraordinary prices .



However it doesn't have to cost more than £100 for a very good one day course which is what I paid for the course run by Pootlepress in Manchester this last Monday. Jamie did an excellent job of presenting his course tp ten of us. There's a lot to learn and for me with my old brain it was hard work but this course sets you up to teach yourself - you're given a web site to experiment - Here's mine 



Here's the Pootlepress training course details at the moment there are three places left in Manchester on Feb 8th  jump in if you're interested with hard work you could build a successful career - it will have to be done by personal contact and you'll have some stiff competition. Great if you like a challenge.

3 comments:

Gladys Hobson said...

You must be getting a super-duper blog at Wordpress. Just in case any of your readers think they can't have a blog at Wordpress without training and payment, I have three blogs there — two for specific purposes and one general one. (I admit I have not been blogging for some weeks now but I will be active again once I am 'inspired' . I have other blogs too at 'blogspot' that also need updating. Not one of my blogs cost me anything
Regarding Wordpress:
There are a number of themes that can be used (to suit all tastes) and if you want to, you can change as many times as you like. I prefer to keep to my original theme, although I do change the header picture occasionally on my principal one. Or add a gadget or whatever. There is nothing complicated about it or I would not be able to do it!. Even though I have not posted for a while I still get plenty of hits on my main blog. (Over 6,000 on one particular post.) I suppose this is because of their system of tagging.
I still get quite a few hits on my Blogger posts too, in spite of not posting for a while, (This applies to all the blogs there) I must admit, I do prefer the Wordpress blogs.
Why not have a go if you have not tried blogging?

Geoff Dellow said...

I confirm everything that Gladys says.

Blogs need not cost anything. The reason I will be paying is to be able to create a super-duper web site !

I was aware that I could use a version of Wordpress that comes free, however the alternative enables me to design a full blooded web site which not only has a blog but many thousands of further features to the free blog. If I'm clever enough I'll be able to use any of these features in addition to a blog.

I define a blog as a chronological diary of writings. The new web site will have different parts which will be very different from each other; some will have features that can be easily reached from the home page.

I hope to have both my existing blog and my new web site with a blog as just part of it running at the same time in less that a month so you'll be able to judge for yourself.

Incidentally the web site industry has been gradually going crazy over Wordpress since 2003 which is why there are so many courses being run on it - many of which cost £2000. If web site design is your thing then you need to learn Wordpress fast - there's a good living to be had but you'll have to be smart as there's a lot of catching up to be done. Those making megabucks started to get involved over five years ago. It could be a frustrating uphill scramble this late in the game. Think carefully as to whether it might be too late now . . .

For an amateur like me it is just fun and will be a matter of making the new web site interesting. In other words content will be a major importance.

Geoff Dellow said...

You'll find out all about Wordpress and the community that created it at Wordpress.org

I think anyone who likes people, knows how to do this without being taken advantage of and has patience to explain things to others can earn a good living promoting this software.

People are getting fed up with being treated like a machine. They want to deal with people who relate to them as an individual. On the other hand we all have a tendency to grab something for nothing if we're honest. Those of us who enjoy life have found a way through the middle - working with others, enjoying ourselves and feeling valued both financially and by having respect shown.

Not easy!