Wednesday 28 January 2009

Cards delivered in the Lightburn Park area

If you've arrived here and wonder what its all about:

Its about you!

With difficult times ahead, we will cope a lot better if we work together and support each other rather than struggle on, alone.

I find that a lot of people have become isolated and getting in touch with people who feel the same can be a great boost.

We all benefit from the encouragement of others and the opportunity is here for just that.

What's more there is money available to change things. Furthermore with a joint voice people can make changes. You may feel that the council can improve its service or provide support for those who want to help themselves.

What I am finding is frustration at not being able to get things done because bureaucrats believe they are in charge and we have to go through them.

They have lost track of the fact that they are civil 'servants' and ultimately answerable to us. If we work together we can change this and make them listen.

What can happen :

Councillors who do nothing will be replaced by others who will try much harder.

Officers will be put under pressure to show that they are doing their jobs well.

The recent handing out of MUGAs without taking the trouble to consult the residents properly about what they actually want is made even worse when we tell them well ahead of time what is wanted.

What do they do - pay lip service and break promises made beforehand to consider our wishes.

By getting together we can send clear messages to both Councillors and their officers as to what we want and find out whether they will listen.

The really annoying thing is that in some cases all we want is permission to do the work ourselves but this gets lost in the mire of bureaucracy and committee meetings and shuffling meaningless emails backwards and forwards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geoff

Thanks for the nice card, it's just what I needed to brighten up my day.

I really don't get out much, so the invite to come and see you at Poppies and discuss with you politics and philosophy is an offer I really can't refuse.

I quite like the ideas of Nietzsche, but recently the whole poisoning of the human soul stuff is getting me down....

I'll probably like to talk about care for pets, but misused allotments sounds a real hoot - just what I need.

As for a community group, I'm not too keen, groups always seem to need a leader, and they always turn out to be self-serving egotists - have you read Lord of the Flies? - I don't want to end up like Piggy to your Jack.

Here's looking forward to Saturday.

Geoff Dellow said...

Great to have your encouraging comment.

Look forward to talking to you - there could be others there too from what I gather.

As for Piggy and Jack I agree with you too.

I am slowly learning how to be a facilitator in the Carl Rogers sense.

You call a meeting and then sit there and say nothing. People after some time wake up to the fact that you refuse to lead anyone but are there to help others do 'stuff' themselves.

Leaders need followers.

Take the leader away and you are left with sheep.

Facilitators need no one - if they're not needed, they go home!

Groups with a good facilitator are full of self motivated individuals that have been encouraged and supported in being able to do what THEY want. The facilitator goes and a very thriving group is left - full of facilitators because they like the feel of encouraging others and can cope with not controlling their surroundings.

WOW

I guess that's why I'm an Independent and like thinking and taking responsibility for my own actions and trying not to tell others what they should do.

All I want is people to . . . . . THINK for themselves . . . and then do.

I'm off to the Co-op and Bargain Booze to check their prices against Tesco Express prices which I've now got!