Monday 19 January 2009

Cats in sheltered housing


I've just arrived home from talking to some people on Croftlands who report that Simon Hughes, Senior Housing Officer, South Lakes Housing, says "no" to an old person in sheltered housing having a cat.

This is outrageous. If the person is able to take care of a cat, even when some assistance is required, then they should be even encouraged to have a cat - 'someone' to look after and be responsible for.

We are taking care of people's bodies but not their emotional welfare. A cat can be an important 'person' in an old person's life particularly when animals of the two legged variety are rarely encountered.

I hope to be able to report back on this when I've talked to Simon Hughes tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry but how can you go and ask Simon Hughes questions when it's nowt to do with you and also your not even a councilor

Geoff Dellow said...

Your logic mystifies me!

First the way old people are treated is to do with us - so of us are quite close to a similar position ourselves.

Second I'm seeing Simon Hughes tomorrow anyway so I'll ask him then.

Lastly what's being a councillor got to do with it?

Many councillors, I've found achieve nothing, whilst determined members of the public can and do. Take the example of Ulverston Cobbles!

Ben said...

If I were the old person I'd just get the cat anyway. What the heck does it have to do with this Hughes fellow? Even if he found out about the cat's presence, what would ( or could ) Hughes do?

Geoff Dellow said...

Hughes is top man for Council Housing in Ulverston - meet him at the MUGA consultation on Croftlands!