Tuesday 2 March 2010

Second home !

Isn't it great to have a second home,

Somewhere to disappear to for a break,

To get away from everyday life and have time to reflect on it.

Well here's mine:


Isn't it great.

What's more as I step into the 'garden' I get an almost uninterupted view of the sky because my 'home' is located on flat ground. Overhead Curlews and Wild Geese are passing regularly. I also have my own designated Robin to check out the taste of the worms that I'm breeding.

There also seems to be a resident rat (or two) who have moved into the unoccupied 'cellar' of my second home.

I'm slowly meeting the neighbours.

First I got to know Mel who offered loan of his wheelbarrow whenever I needed one. Since then we've enjoyed one of his donated swedes, with some parsnips still to cook. Another neighbour who i've only met once and forgotten his name gave me some carrots and offered the loan of his rotavator.

Bearded Jack and his wife Janet (who Jack claims is a witch) have filled me in as to all the drawbacks and some of the advatages of life on the allotment. He listed a while lot of plagues that would strike and one time or another:

In order of size:

Rabbits, which I've seen who visit over/under/through the fence of the field not thirty years away. Perhaps planting some sacrificial lettuces will fill them up and they'll leave the rest of the veg.

Pigeons who sweep down and gobble fresh shoots leaving a useless disheveled plant.

Clubroot a fungal infection that lurks in the soil and is impossible to get rid of for years and can be transferred from plot to plot on people's feet. It deforms the roots of cabbages, cauliflower sprouts etc

Carrot fly that produces wierd disfigured carrots that may only be of interest to the

Rats that will burrow and eat a whole crop of potatoes.

Couch grass and Mare's tail that can be very difficult to get rid of.

Weeds that come with the manure.

And other unexplained attacks that decimate one persons peas and leave another's intact.

The old hands are gleefully welcoming a novice to provide food for the above so that their crops untouched.

I guess my first year will be something of a disaster but you only learn by trying ! !

* . * . * . *
! ? !


Those of us that are old enough will remember these posters from the second world war.



Well that time is fast approaching again.

This time it will be the war of the minds.

How to fight depression.

Well with an allotment you need never be depressed.



It's great to have a battle on.

One you can 'win'. (As long as you don't leave your back turned too long.)

I find that I'm deeply motivated by 'visions'.

My present one is a flat tilth of dark brown soil covering the whole plot, with not an interuption from a weed or a rat or rabbit hole anywhere.

I pursue this vision at a slow plod relentlessly. I get immense satisfaction each square yard that is tamed as I slowly approach my 'vision'.

<><><><><><>

Here are the roots of couch grass that have been defeated so far.

And the next lot are lurking down there waiting to be beaten up.

Silly things, they advertise their presence with bright white steamers - how can you miss them in the fine black earth?



Wish there was a use for these little buggers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have done well when you get to the end of the plot time to turn around and start again
dont sow in rows nature doesn't
Seeds and earth to dreams give birth

Geoff Dellow said...

Yes the work's going well.

Sowed my first veg in the plot this last weekend. Potatoes all tucked up snug with loads of manure and a black polythene blanked to keep the cold frosts out over the next few weeks.

Anonymous said...

considering your busy life
you have done a splendid job on your plot got to the root of things
"If you want a job doing ask a busy man"