Tuesday 1 June 2010

Communicating with our new MP

He is , of course, John Woodcock, Labour

First , here's a way of tracking what he is saying.
This site also leads of other useful sites that help us assert ourselves with local government.

Second, you can contact him direct
I shall be using email mostly - john@johnwoodcock.org - followed up by phone if needs be.

I must admit, I was not impressed with John when compared to Chris Loyens when I listened to him at a public meeting. However now is the time to develop a relationship with the guy that represents us and try to get him to represent our views.

I am starting with wanting him to support a stand being taken by Britain against the aggressive behaviour of Israel towards Palestine. This in my view is the second most serious problem we have in the world and leads to a lot of the terrorism we experience here in this country.

(The first is Global Warming - and we get distracted by the World Cup , our financial situation and the finer workings of "The Coalition".)

Not only must Britain take a firm stand but the wishywashy USA must show more than "concern".

With so much going on we need to keep a clear head and at all times keep our priorities firmly established even when we let our hair down and enjoy ourselves.

My letter to John Woodcock MP, sent Wednesday, 2nd June:

John Woodcock,

I met you when you came to Ulverston to be interviewed by the Business Alliance upstairs in the Kings Arms Pub before the election.

It must be very exciting now that you have been elected with a lot to learn though your experience as a researcher/policy advisor for John Hutton will have enabled you to gain a lot of experience.

I hope to be in regular touch with you regarding issues that concern me and hope that you will find this helpful.

Today I'm writing about the UK response to the present Israel conflict with the relief being sent to Palestine by sea.

The UK government should in my opinion support the Flotilla and condemn Israel in the strongest possible terms.

It should also turn its criticism towards the USA who appear to condone the Israel behaviour.

Being very supportive of Palestine is the way forward of avoiding terrorism in this country.

The money, which must be in the region of a billion pounds, spent on surveillance and police action would be far better spent on alleviating the suffering of people on the Gaza strip andstanding up for their civil rights.

Second to Global warming , I believe that the Israel/Palestine conflict is the most important problem that we as bystanders face.

We must urge those representing our country to take a firm stand against a country who are totally out of control in their aggressive attitude to Palestine.

Could you tell me what you are able to do on my behalf?

I hope that the Labour party have formulated a policy of what they will do when subsequent flotillas approach Gaza. I trust that this involves very strong diplomatic pressure of the highest order in order to give Palestinians some hope that the rest of us care.

Geoff Dellow

Also sent to Tim Farron MP - with modifications!


Follow up email, titled "Reply" sent Monday 7th June :

John,

Could I have a reply to my previous email please.

At the same time as writing to you, I also wrote to Tim Farron.

I have received an answer from him but not you.

I have consistently found that he replies to my emails.

As you know he has set a high standard for the area.

It would be good if you attempted to follow his example.

When you talked to us in Ulverston , you promised a surgery here. Can you tell me when you plan to have this.

Geoff Dellow

13 comments:

Louis said...

Totally agree with you on the issue of Israel's latest slaughter of the innocents. I've just emailed Woodcock myself on the issue, included Robert Fisk's article from the Indie. Hope Mr W is better at replying than his predecessor

Geoff Dellow said...

I'll post any reply I get here!

.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for replying here but just wondering do you no who is in charge of traffic lights in ulverston.Now the traffic lights that are near lightburn park haven't worked for the last 2 weeks.I've just seen a young kid nearly get ran over by the park trying to cross the road,i'd like to try and get these fixed before its to late

Geoff Dellow said...

Glad you left a comment about this here.

I've sent on your message to the policeand the County Councillor James Airey. I'm sure they will be concerned.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Geoff i can't believe these lights have been out for the last 2 weeks and nowt been done about them.They put them there for a reason yet seems no one wants to no when they don't work

Geoff Dellow said...

Just received a reply from James Airey,a County Councillor who impresses me greatly.

Hi Geoff

Thank you for this I will pass it on as a matter of urgency,

Regards James.

(That was quick wasn't it! G.D.)

Anonymous said...

wow quick reply but lets see how long it takes to fix the lights

Geoff Dellow said...

You're right to be skeptical.

Even James Airey hasn't established a track record of always getting work done - which why I'm waiting to talk to him about the setts in The Gill. A matter I raised with him a year ago.

He has, however, stuck to his guns, it seems, over clipping The Roxy's wings over late drinking hours.

Why, however, they were allowed so many money-making adjournments to their court case is beyond me.

Geoff Dellow said...

Sgt Flett has also respnded to say that he has notified the Highways Department who have responsibility for this. The next step would be to contact the head of highways which can be done if we still get no action.

With Airey on the job , let's hope he will do this, however with some councillors who have learned to flannel very effectively, I have found it is better going to the top oneself. Most councillors are ineffective and actually resent people who can do a better job than themselves.

Much of the time, I sadly find that I am better doing the job myself than using a councillor. It is difficult to find one who isn't a waste of space and who doesn't give you more trouble than if they weren't there in the first place and you did the job yourself.

Anonymous said...

Drove past today just gone half five and was held up cause the lights were on red and kids safely crossing the road.Good work,why its taken 2 weeks is beyond me tho

Geoff Dellow said...

Great news!

.

Louis said...

Hi Geoff! Got a reply yet!? I haven't. Guess he's learnt to ignore his constituents from Hutton.

Geoff Dellow said...

No, Blog, not yet.

Early days for a green horn.

I'll use a web site which Gladys has pointed out (one to be featured here) next