Friday 18 June 2010

A tribute to Phil Hopwood

who died of cancer at the very beginning of this year.

He was a friend that I greatly valued.

People's personality lives after them when they die and I am very aware of his potential approval at something I've just done.

Phil greatly valued well designed equipment often made at the turn of the century. He regularly obtained and returned to their efficient working condition tools and simple machines that others were throwing out.

Poking around a skip the other day I spotted a simple tree pruner, eight foot long and enabling me to cut branches thirteen feet above ground with out a ladder.

It was totally rusted and seized up.





No longer; it's been back in action minutes after the recovery process was instigated - well sixty of them actually.

Phil would have approved . Tree pruning here I come!

I'm convinced that as the world's resources become used up and sophisticated mechanical equippment becomes unaffordable we'll be reverting to well design and made tools from the 18th century. Hang on to your treddle sowing machine that is moderately easy to repair and doesn't require electricity.

I'd love to promote employment for young people to renovate clapped out machines and furniture. It happens plenty in India and other countries. Let's look forward to it happening here in Ulverston soon!

We can start with bikes; perhaps not that old but fifty years old will be a start!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cant get anything usefull from the tip anymore not allowed

Gladys Hobson said...

My hubby is just the same. I try to divert his attention when we pass by skips. He and my sons are DIY, mend and save, and 'if it does not exist' then make it' enthusiasts. Trouble is, the place can sometimes resemble a scrap yard! Nothing gets thrown away at our place, is we can't do anything with 'it' then 'it' goes for recycling.