Sunday 29 April 2012

It's going to be hard

In a way, my heart's not in it but I have to ask myself :if I had put myself forward to run for council , how hard would I have worked.

Well now there is a candidate I'd like to see elected - just one - and that is John Lawrence that I've already talked about here.

So in order to get him elected I'm prepared to graft - which for me is to deliver my 'flyer' to all the houses in North Ward. I'm giving over tomorrow Monday to do this and will deliver all I can in the time available.

So I'm writing my intention here so that I actually do it. It's going to be cold and windy - but then the sun will be out! And it's quite fun having an excuse to visit all the houses at close quarters.

Right North Ward - where's that!
*        *        *        *        *        *        *

Here's the text of what my present version says!

 
Damn, Smiling Smooth-talking Out-of-touch Politicians

I don't know about you but I'm fed up with the choices in front of me. I'm being leafleted by people who really don't have time or interest in talking about the work and concerns of us - the people living here.

Almost all of them want just my vote  .  .  .  .  .         for their party.

Some of them haven't even got much of a clue how the council works.
To be honest what I’d like is independent people who listen, then talk honestly, don’t make vague promises, fight hard and will take a genuine interest in what happens in their ward after they’re voted in.

But few want to listen: will they be interested once elected ?


However if you look closely, one party is different : Labour


They have come up with some policies that are sound good.

So what have been our work and concerns: the little community group in The Gill ?

Mill Damn Park: All the work other than the cutting of the grass has been done by our group. We have made and supplied three picnic tables there. We have planted flowers, bulbs and even now forty Sweet Pea plants are growing up the fence on the right. We have campaigned with the council to have the fencing repaired (successfully it seems). We have rescued a substantial amount of perfectly good  wood and fencing that was removed from the next door sheltered housing and plan to use it to equip the park.

 What have the Previous Conservative Councillors done?

They agreed that the gates are unsafe; one with no latch and both opening out the wrong way yet they have done nothing. In fact when we went to see Tony Naylor, the Parks Officer, he said that our councillor was "out of order" because he was blocking the council helping with our work in the park.

Pottery in Gill Banks, Mill Dam and Church Walk School: They have shown no interest even though international organisations have praised the work done there. They forced us to remove  popular picnic tables from Gill Banks because they attracted young people:  people taking care of the pottery.

The Candlelit Walk: This event attracted 450 this year yet once again no interest or support.

The Flags in the Gill: - now flying- No interest or support from our conservative councillors.

Overall : Of our community work, James Airey, the Tory county councillor, said he wanted to encourage community work and yet he has ignored invitations to view and become informed of our work.

So which people  get my vote? In local elections I always vote for the people: not the party. I’m left with only one person I truly want to vote for: John Lawrence. As for the rest – none are convincing are they? On the bright side Labour have some better policies so we will be able to hold them to task if they don't pursue them vigorously

For the SLDC : Colin Pickthall because of Labour's policies

For the Town Council  - in this order:

John Lawrence : I’ve known since 1975 when manager at Bowater-Scott; a very capable person; now chair of Furness Music Centre, Dalton. Lives here. I’m sure he will work effectively.
Judith Filmore lives here, campaigned hard for local shops (and the Greens ! ! . . !)
Colin Pickthall again

From Geoff Dellow, Union Lane, Gill – a very independent individual who wants the best for the town!
Let’s keep up the pressure and interest in what they do (and don’t do) once they’re elected.

1 comment:

Geoff Dellow said...

Quite honestly, I'm still trying to sort out my thinking at the moment.

I'm tired having had a hard day delivering my flyer with a message that comes from a confused brain!Perhaps I'm trying to do too many things at once!

The choices are complex and it's difficult sorting them out.

One thing stays constant - that is to vote for John Lawrence.