Wednesday 23 May 2012

I'm one of six candidates for the board that runs my Coop

I am turning my energies to running my Coop organisation. I shall be one of the six candidates that have been nominated for Coop members to vote for in July.

Few of you may have realised that I actually own the Coop that I have used for most of my life.

That's why I have banked with the Coop, have my car insurance with the Coop and shop at the Coop.

The Coop "CIS Tower" in Manchester which I own !

Naturally because I own it  - I use it!

And now , if elected, I shall run all the Coops in South Cumbria and North Lancashire - an area encompassing Barrow, Kendal, Lancashire and of course Ulverston.

Anyone reading this blog won't be surprised that I'm doing this as I naturally been very biased in favour of my company when it came to Tesco invading our territory here in Ulverston.

Press the Coop link to see what I've had to say in the past to see that I'm being entirely consistant:

http://geoffdellow.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Coop

Oh by the way - you also own my company too - if you are a Coop member : which is why you too receive dividends from the profits of my company - and will be invited to vote.

What all six candidates have to say about themselves will be available on line  and I'll indicate where you can read this as soon as it's up!

Meanwhile you can alert all your Coop Member friends to the fact that there's an important election coming up in early July.

Now this election will really count as unlike the local elections we've just had, we in the Coop can decide to do what we want as we act totally independently of Government policy. This is why the Coop came into being when people in the community decided to set up shop for themselves.

See Wiki for more information:

To quote:

"The Co-operative Group has over 123,000 employees across the UK. The group has headquarters in Manchester on an eight-building complex which includes the CIS Tower.[8] The group will move to 1 Angel Square, its new £100m headquarters at NOMA, Manchester in 2012 - ahead of its 150th anniversary in 2013.[9]"

and elsewhere:

"The group's roots can be traced beyond the Rochdale Society of Equitable Pioneers established 1844.[10] The eight Rochdale Principles included distributing a share of profits according to purchases that came to be known as 'the divi'. In 1863, the North of England Co-operative Wholesale Industrial and Provident Society Limited was launched in Manchester by 300 individual co-operatives in Yorkshire and Lancashire. By 1872, it was known as the Co-operative Wholesale Society (CWS). "


Now that should give you all something to talk about !

5 comments:

JAK said...

You will get my vote as you do things for the community, really DO things.
I own the COOP as well its our Coop.
How do other blog readers see this

Chris said...

I will take a moment out from my nightmare to share a nice thought with you.
You have my vote Geoff in fact you have all 3 of my votes I lived in Chicago for a while.
I have no idea who or what The Coop are now but back in the 80's they were the only ethical bank in The UK The High Street banks were all doing business with the Apartheid Gov in SA However The Coop Bank would not.
With better marketing and more branches they could have been the 5 th bank in the UK.
I loved them to bits close to 30 years ago they gave my dog a credit card with 750 Pounds.
Good Luck Geoff

Geoff Dellow said...

That is a nice thought Chris, now tell us another one.

If you had a dog with a credit card you must have had a fish with a wish.

If you had a fish with a wish you must have had an hephalump with a long long memory which meantit couldn't fall asleep due to its little mouse reminding it of all those wishes the fish and the dog's credit card went to sea in a pea green boat.

What a lovely little nightmare this could be - illustrations on the back of a postage stamp - it will be a children's knock out especially if Rita stirs herself to keep her Christmas promise with a song or twiter woooo.

Chris said...

I will attempt levity Geoff as I just went out and the photo machine does not work-aaargggghhht.
Sandy was a long haired Corgi that was madly in love with a Springer Spaniel from Brighton.
I was just shy of 18 and Sandy said to me I could use his credit card if I would take him to Brighton to charm the Springer Spaniel.
I bought the Auto Mart and found a Sunbeam Rapier just outside Blackpool.
I was driving home and just south of Newby Bridge drove off the road and the car was a write off.
Ulverston's Dixon of Dock Green Brian Ellwood arrived and gave me a life home I asked him for lights and siren but he said Morons without insurance and a driving license do not get lights and sirens.
Happy Times Geoff who is this Rita Geoff I can think of Lennon's Rita Lovely Rita Meter Maid and Walters Rita in Educating Rita wonderful movie happier days I used to get people going with Lipman's line
"Oh Sibelius Would You Not Just Die Without Him".
Watch the movie Geoff see if you recognize the building they use as the University shame they could not have used a real University.
Thinking of the Coop bank they used to have Handybanks in Coop stores but all the Coop stores closed down 2 in Ulverston closed.
Good Luck with it all Geoff if The Coop still maintain their old ethos good luck to them.

Geoff Dellow said...

You're doing well Chris - fascinating stuff - keep it up. I'm 'tied up' repairing pottery that was broken up in a late night vandal spree at The Railings.

Lots of little pieces all fitting together - I love jigsaws !