Monday 22 July 2013

Dealing with politicians

This is an extremely difficult task. At a local level I have found it very demanding.

They are as difficult as dealing with petulant children.

The key, I suspect, is encouragement.

If left entirely to themselves that can achieve something. The first step is to suss out what they would like to do and encourage and praise whatever they achieve. They can then raise their heads high and walk proud - something that is probably top of their agenda list.

Up till now I have thought that they were fair game for criticism. I'm now learning that this is not the best route if cooperation is the goal. I had always assumed that if one criticises then when one praises it had more impact. However I realises this betrays my lack of emotional intelligence. In practice we are dealing with humans. Humans can be frustratingly illogical. Hence for me dealing with politicians is an extremely difficult task. Furthermore it may well not be a topic for a blog post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the best way to deal with a person (a human), is not to constantly deride, or critise, or hound, or abuse verbally or through social media, or personal insults verging on the hysterical and libeless, or write vindictive abusive mail/ email, or treat everyone as an enemy and demonise them simply because they hold an alternative view.

if only people would take time to listen to the needs or views of others first, one would find common ground towards which both can work.

the miner

Geoff Dellow said...

Very wise, but . . . .

What can you do to make contact?

I'm ready to listen but if they say nothing what then. It seems to me that politicians avoid saying things in case they are then asked to do more.

It's a particularly difficult problem for my kind of personality.

The feeling I'm left with is that if I praise a politician enough then they will come back for more. Sadly I have to search for something to praise. I suspect my standards are far too high. My view is sadly encouraged by others who also have a low opinion of politicians. One has to ask - Why are they politicians?

Sadly my view is not very helpful.

So let's take an example - how do we communicate about an issue like the Citizens Advice Bureau in Ulverston. What do I say to help it happen?

Or am I starting at the wrong place?

I'm listening!

Talking to another person my age last Thursday he said "I don't understand why there aren't riots on the streets, I'm convinced there would have been when I was young" My view is that with no CAB the chances are that for the first time ever we'll have some thoughtless angry action born of frustration at being hounded by pailiffs chasing money, here in Ulverston. If the spark ignites elsewhere in the country, watch out here? All it needs is a small issue which incenses the self esteem of a large group with time on their hands, fuelled by alcohol and heat. What if the pubs or a nightclub were closed for instance?

Answers please - I'm listening.

Anonymous said...

I have chatted to Pat Jones one of our local Clr.
Her political party and mine are miles apart! I have none now.
We have an alliance because of "localism".
We must keep a eye on the big picture yes.
The important thing is the end result, and as I have found to my peril "The legacy"
We live on only in the memory of others.
Morality is missing!
Also we need communication ALL WARS have end that way from the year..DOT
Jack Kelly