Friday 7 November 2008

Correspondence with local Councillors

Every few months issues arise that concern Ulverston people as a whole.

The consultation over the Ulverston Town Centre Plan was one of these and in particular the lack of action of the County Highways Department in passing on complaints regarding workmanship on the town cobbles to the contractors for United Utilities.

In these cases I forward information to all the local councillors so that they are informed.

In one case I received the following response:

Geoff – with respect – I have previously indicated that I DO NOT WANT TO RECEIVE ANY FURTHER EMAILS FROM YOU – please remove me from your email list – unless you wish to contact me as your ward councillor – WHICH I AM NOT.
Kind regards,
Cllr. Brian Wilkinson

To which I responded as follows:

Cllr Brian Wilkinson,

Having stopped to consider your wishes, please consider the following:

All correspondence of a personal nature is already being avoided.

Correspondence that reflects the wishes and interests of people in East County Ward to their potential Councillor will continue.

As you probably know visits are being made door-to-door in this area and people are very keen to have their local councillors considering their views. The fact that they may not convey these to councillors directly appears to come from their lack of belief that they will be heard. They appear to have a wish to find someone who will act on their behalf.

If you do not wish to join with me or even receive my correspondence over certain issues, this is clearly your choice. It may however reinforce the belief held by the above people.

I suggest that you take whatever measures you feel appropriate to deal with my incoming mail.

You will not however be able to state that you were not made aware of the issues raised.

On the other hand, should you wish co-operation on any issue, please free to contact me and I will consider this.

Dr Geoff Dellow
Prospective County Councillor

The reply read:

You ignorant self centered sod.
I insist that you take me off your email circulation.
Emails are only legal if they are requested or subscribed to.
I suggest that you reconsider your response to me requesting that you do not copy me in to any more of your email trash.
I am only responsible to the people who elected me – ie the residents of Ulverston South Ward.
Now – sod off into the stratosphere.
Brian Wilkinson

Councillor Wilkinson's email address is freely available on the SLDC web site

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think Brian Wilkinson likes you

Geoff Dellow said...

From my point of view, this is a 'blip' as the fact that I respect the contributions that he makes at Town Council Meetings will eventually register with him. They are often incisive and to the point.

Which is why I very occasionally write to him, along with the others, in his role as both Town and District Council.

Many share my view that there are some issues relating to Ulverston that benefit from expressing to all the Ulverston Councillors. One's own representative may not be sympathetic to an issue while others may.

Email is the ideal way of doing this!