Wednesday 12 November 2008

Problems with Local Government


The visit to Kendal to complain about our road markings was a big success in ways that may not be too obvious at first glance!

But the councillors that I addressed yesterday are clearly in thrall to their officers.

Even the Ulverston councillors failed to back the two hundred people who signed their petition. Wendy Kolbe felt the submission was irresponsible and supported her colleague, David Clarke, Labour, Kendal Strickland Fell, who made the accusation that that the petitioners were wasting the County's time.

No wonder Ulverston gets a rough deal.

The chief local Highways Engineer, Nick Raymond, who was at the Ulverston Town Centre meeting, was a different person yesterday - confidently strutting about, signaling with flick of the wrist for underlings to talk to him out of the Council Chamber. Mr Raymond was not the hesitant person who addressed the Ulverston people last Thursday. People who potentially could put him on the spot but chose not to.

This is a very worrying aspect of local politics and has been reported on several occasions:

By those involved with the fight to stop Dale Street School closing, which failed.

By Geoff Thompson over the Academy battle going on in Barrow.

When the Hospital facilities in Kendal were closed.

The officials behind the scenes dictate what should happen and the councillors follow along blindly as in 'Yes, Minister'.

The County Hall echoed the same attitudes present in Ulverston Council chamber. This is our club for important people and the public are a bloody nuisance!

I concede that my opening remarks to the Councillors at County Hall in Kendal can't have made them feel friendly.

No favours were going to be given at this visit. The aim was some straight talking.

I suggested that I had failed at my last visit regarding the cobbles because no one had understood my main points, I had buried them in too much information: my question was too all encompassing. The result was that no one was bothered that the Highways Department avoided answering my question (which was " Why did the county not monitor the work of contractors when working on our cobbles).This time I would keep it simple! Too simple as it happens!

I argued that the County Highways Department had been inefficient, ineffective and inactive.

In the long term their failure to inspect and call the contractors to task regarding their work on the cobbles would cost the tax payer money. The County taxpayers will end up having to pay for the repairs that should have been by contractors. Fortunately we have been able to persuade United Utilities to return even though they are not legally liable to do so.

More to follow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geoff how do you feel about the fact that now you are running for council you have become target for sites like Ulverstonrant.com and knowhere the moderator free message board? Did you expect this rush of fame? Am i correct in saying all publicity is good publicity?

Geoff Dellow said...

All publicity good?

This depends on its nature - so far no complaints!

I expect people to have ago at me.

I even invite it here!

It gets me thinking and questioning what I'm up to. If the criticism is well informed and makes a valid point - it registers and I feel bad for a short time.

I do believe that being fallible is not a major sin, especially if we learn from it.

Running for council has opened up a huge area for me to learn from and grow as a person. I'm finding it hard but at the same very rewarding.

I really enjoy meeting people and finding out what they think.

This was the reason I became a teacher - I am always fascinated by finding out what makes people tick.

As I don't believe in their ever being a correct and final answer - everybody's views have an element of wisdom - some more than others - I will never think there is nothing more to learn - how boring.

Great question - Thanks