Thursday 19 March 2009

The desperate need for enquiring minds

When I taught in a London East End Secondary School, I was grateful that I didn't have a lot of dreadful students that said "Yes Sir" "No Sir"

"Three bags full, Sir"

Occasionally I did meet this variety of moron - they obediently listened to everything that you said and made careful notes all lined up to get their 'A's in their exams.

I felt like placing a smoke bomb under their seats!

What I valued was the bolshie questioning student who wouldn't accept stuff if it didn't make sense to him/her.



This isn't to say that their motivation was to disrupt - they just didn't like bullshitters.

Fortunately for me I enjoyed being put on the spot; it kept me on my toes, forcing the reponse "I'll have to check that out".

We will all discover in the next ten to twenty years that we need the very best creative thinkers if we are to survive/enjoy this time.

We have social and living situations that demand people that can ask questions and find answers.

Surprisingly , I find it easier to find an answer than pose an incisive question.

Who was asking the right questions over the bank crisis ? The lonely voice of Vince Cable?

I certainly struggled to figure out what was going wrong and couldn't spot the flaw and only now after much thought begin to understand what went wrong - buying things with money that actually didn't exist but was a mere glint of a promise in a bankers eye.

Beware of education that tells its students "the Truth". We need lots of students that can cope with knowing that they DON'T know!

No comments: