Saturday 21 March 2009

Police response to the Croftlands attack

Personally, I'm very impressed with their prompt and thorough action.

Well done Ulverston Police; I'm sure that they'd appreciate some positive comments here.

They get plenty of discouraging comments all the time. Emotionally, doing a thankless job, coppers are like the rest of us; they need a regular top up of encouragement, especially when they're 'on the ball', working with the community like this.

Come on, see what you can do!

Here is their press release on the subject!

Subject: Ulverston man charged with Assault ABH


An Ulverston man has been charged following an assault on a 63-yr-old local man in the town this week.

Police received reports that a man had been assaulted on Oakwood Drive in Ulverston at around 10pm on Sunday 15 March.

Following a police investigation 24-yr-old Michael Fisher, from Larch Grove in Ulverston, was arrested and later charged with Assault ABH.

Sergeant Rupert Johnston from the Ulverston Neighbourhood Policing Team said: “I would like to thank the community for their help in the investigation into this assault. This sort of crime gives people the wrong impression of Ulverston, but the community spirit shown during the investigation proves that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated in the town.”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree Geoff, an impressive bit of police work.

Sends the message to these kids to behave.

They'll think twice next time.

Feeling greatly reassured!

Anonymous said...

With the help of the community is they key phrase i.e.someone told them . And a man of 24 is hardly a kid ,he's old enough to know what he's doing. Nevertheless ,well done to plod. I mean ,whoever would have thought it was someone from Larch Grove ?

Geoff Dellow said...

The term 'kid' is relative especially when you're an old codger of 74.

Besides, some babies take an awful looooong time to grow up.

I'm still at it now - some of my actions, I'm sure are seen by some, as very kid like!

Why today I was watching bees fly in and out of a hive with great fascination !

Anonymous said...

When I was 24 ,I was married and had a responsible job and I'm sure you ,Geoff,were in a similar position. What the hell is a man of 24 doing wandering around with teenagers looking for trouble. It makes me very despondent when I see or hear of young men in their early 20's who have no trade ,indeed have never worked in many cases. They have no direction and it's not entirely their own fault. My generation had the choice of 2or 3 apprenticeships and plenty of positive role models.I remember a bunch of us going into the Rifleman's pub in Barrow acting the can and being told off by a foreman from the shipyard. I said - we are not at work now - and the reply was - well you will be on Monday and this is my local so cut it out ! He then bought us all a pint and the situation was defused.

Anonymous said...

A dozen strokes of the Birch wielded by a burly Sergeant would correct the miscreants behaviour for the rest of his life. Why not try it?? Absolutely nothing else is working!!

Geoff Dellow said...

I'm all for it.

After a ceremonial procession through the streets at 10 am (we're good at that); administered beneath the Market Cross on a market day; the rest of the day spent in the stocks (haven't they still got some at Broughton?);no food.

Or would they make their fortune selling their story to the Sun afterwards "The Humiliation I suffered at the hands of the brutes of Ulverston".

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea Geoff! Can I sell the tickets please? I'd make a fortune!!

Geoff Dellow said...

Maybe we've found the ultimate fundraiser for both councils.

But half a minute isn't this beginning to sound like the French Revolution.

Whose head would role next?