Friday 20 March 2009

South Ulverston - the real sense of community

Arthur Dickinson, aged 89, (birthday coming up on May 11th! - he's planning to walk up Hoad - something he does every Birthday) was one of the many I met at Glaxo when he was working with Owen Thompson under Ken Shaw in 1960.

I've just been chatting with him, listening to him talk about the past.

Sandside school was then the local school and used by people there for their social activities. Arthur's father and two brothers were involved.

When they wanted a dance, four men would shoulder their own piano and carry it all the way down Cross Lane to the school.


That's the kind of community they had in those days.

Can you imagine that happening now?

I suspect some of you will reply "yes"

We need this set of values to return; a time says Arthur when we were poorer and people mattered more and were seen as real riches. . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to know Arthur ,he used to live adjacent my parents in Fox Howe. A grand old lad ,his parting shot is usually - take good care !

Geoff Dellow said...

Arthur has recently moved to the Ellers - lucky people!

Patricia Eyre said...

Arthur is my Dad's cousin and he started to tell me about life in Ulverston before he moved (again)into a nursing home. I tried talking to him but his memory is not as good as it was.

Geoff Dellow said...

Patricia, lovely to hear from you.It's rare ,these days to have some one who identifies themselves here on my blog. Most people prefer to remain anonymous for some reason I can't understand.

Sadly from your point of view my mememory has suffered a knock: through having had a stroke.

I realse now that I haven't tried to drop in to see Arthur at his flat in the Ellers. Let me know if I can find anything out for you or as there are still some of us oldies still kicking around I can ask them.This brings out my ignorance in that I don't even know whether Arthur is still alive. I'll drop in and see if he answers his door within the next fortnight!

If you want to know anything about Ulverston from to time I was here:back in 1960 onwards - you never know I may remember something that is relevant.I was a leader of Pathfinders which used the old prefab church St Judes in South Ulverston back then and am still intouch with Malcolm Tyson who was in Pathfinders at the time. Also there are several others down at South Ulverston now that I know

I'm rambling aren't I?