Monday 4 July 2011

Memories

This smart exterior is difficult for me to take in.

A few years back it opened to onto amazing store of wood by Bill Stables.

You opened the then double doors and where faced with machined wood of every description to within one yard of the door - all collected and saved by Bill for some unspecified future project.

Asked when he'd last been to the back of his 'workshop', he replied ten years ago . In it's present state it was  impenetrable.

What a character - bare chested he gave the impression of being supremely fit and walked to his favourite spot beyond Bardsea, every day for his swim in the nude.

There he left his philosophy of life engraved on the Limestone pavement that went down to the sea.

His wood was put to great use and his rocking horses were much sort after. He is best remembered for his musical round abouts - beautifully crafted.

Feel free to fill in the gaps and correct inaccuracies.

Now we have a neat and tidy notice which reads:



Worth investigating.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing that! Bill Stables was my Grandad, really miss his workshop and the days we used to spend with him at his favourite place 'Baycliffe' back in the 80's when we were kids.

As he didn't want a marked gravestone I often go to see his writing on the rock at Baycliffe and remember the long summers of the early to mid eighties when he would always be there taking a dip in the see and basking in the sun :)

Geoff Dellow said...

My, what a character, Bill Stables was!

Good to hear from you Elton. Please lets have some stories from your memories of Bill. There will be many of us that would greatly appreciate being reminded of what an enjoyable person your Grandad was. To my way of thinking it's these memories that are far more valuable than any physical gravestone.

If you're ever in Ulverston I'd love to interview you for your stories from the past. Photos of the Rocking Horses and Musical Roundabouts, Bill Made would be invaluable.

Thanks for getting in touch.

When I follow your image on your comment, I get Jeff Soan - he's a great worker with wood as well - Do you know Jeff ? I saw a lot of him when I was in London thirty years ago. I come down to London often!

jomabo said...

Hi Geoff and Elton. Its Jonathan here, ive been looking around for things online to do with grandad to. I was wondering what happened to the amazing carousel he made? I think it got sold on to someone but dont know who. Not sure what happened to his centre engine either, museum maybe I think?

Perhapse you could shed some light geoff? I would love to have known him when he was younger, what a guy.

Is it you who owns the workshop now Geoff? It looks so different :) great job.

I have the last rocking horse he made called daisy, they are great, my son uses it now and he loves it.

Take care.....

Geoff Dellow said...

Sadly, I can offer no information. Hopefully someone reading this can. Bill's workshop is back in use and I'll investigate what's happening there - no I don't own it. I'll ask around and come back here with anything I can find out.

Has anyone any photos of his work. Jonathan how about a photo or two of Daisy? We'll put together a Bill Stables page on my new web site. Characters like Bill contribute to the kind of people we are in Ulverston. Telling our stories will bring us all together. Fire away : write : gd at tygh.co.uk - you'll get an immediate reply. That includes Jonathan and Elton.