Friday 6 January 2012

Allotments

Having seen what is (not) happening at the allotments that I use I have been raising the issue with David Parratt who administers the allotments on behalf of the Ulverston Town Council - in particular the Councillors who have choosen to oversee them.

They are (taken from the Town Council web site):

  • Our Mayor: Cllr. Mrs. Pat Jones 
  • Cllr. Mrs. Helen Irving 
  • Cllr. Roy Gill 
  • Cllr. Norman Bishop-Rowe 
  • Cllr. Mrs. Brenda Marr 
  • Cllrs. Jim Prosser 
  • Cllr. Brian Wilkinson

This morning I sent the following email to David Parratt (who I approached several months ago about the same matter  and received what I considered to be an evasive reply) with a copy to Cllr. Norman Bishop-Rowe:


David,

I have waited until now so that you can enjoy an untroubled Christmas but now is the time to look for change.

I believe that it is helpful that you hear what others think.

Please note that I and my representative are thoroughly dissatisfied with the administration of our allotments.

In his words, you personally just pay lip service to your role of administrating them.

This is not necessarily your fault but the lack of time that you are given to do your job by the Town Council.

As there has been no action to let disused plots effectively in the last few months, my next course of action will be to prepare a video that I shall put on Youtube to illustrate the problem to a wider public.

When there are so many people seeking allotments these days, I'm sure you will sympathise in the view that the method of administration needs to change or at least be reviewed.

I would take account of your reply in presenting my information - I am all for giving credit where it is due wherever possible.

Geoff Dellow

I shall wait until later next week before taking further action.

If you feel strongly, as I do, and would like your views expressed on the proposed video, please contact me by email - gd at tygh.co.uk

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plots have been offerd but folk wont dig them

Geoff Dellow said...

Then shouldn't the authorities take them back?

One way would be to offer plots conditionally for one year.

A main problem is that when finally they are made available they are in an appauling state.

Geoff Dellow said...

Apologies "appalling"

lakeuk said...

What's the problem?

Plots not available,
Plots not being kept to standard
Plots available but not advertised

Geoff Dellow said...

The problems are many and varied and I think best dealt with using a video which illustrates the different situations.

This will avoid telling the same story several times.

I also want to get as close to the 'truth' as possible.

JAK said...

Offenders have been evicted and warning letters issued.
The council is not at fault. Just fashion chasers who find allotmets need care. Great progress has be made over the time Mr parrat has been in the chair.
JAK

Geoff Dellow said...

Thanks for this input.

Could it not be that in fact there isn't a problem and that my representative isn't giving me the full story?

Geoff Dellow said...

I shall be very interested in what David Parratt has to say. There are many complex issues involved but I see no point in taking on a problem that is of no direct concern to me but only of benefit to others - unless they in turn wish something to be done.

I have a half plot with plenty that needs doing and enjoy immensely the helpfulness and friendship of those that are also working successfully in producing delicious vegetables. The soil I am working is beautifully easy to dig and when treated well is very fertile.

Having an allotment to grow things at such a low cost is a fantastic priviledge and a great relaxation.

If there are other people that are waiting for plots and wish to voice their concern then I will work with them but otherwise will leave sleeping dogs lie.

So over to you!

JAK said...

Don't get monkeys on your back.
Allotments are small communities full of bored individuals ,saints and sinners,thieves and vandals.
JAK

Geoff Dellow said...

I disagree entirely with your approach. What I do agree with is not being the only one to fight a campaign.

I've already attracted 'monkeys ' by voicing my disapproval of the way they have treated certain individuals. The most important thing to me is how I feel about myself - to hell - and it can be hell - with the consequences.