Saturday 28 January 2012

Talent in Ulverston

Isn't wonderful that we have such talented people living in our town?

An outstanding example is the person behind the thinking and doing of the blog featured on the right menu -Thoughts and Songs

Thoughts and Songs, not only has an imaginative use of words but also lovely photos and video and even more, the sound of music created; all by the one person.

The whole package is truly special.

Sadly I have a streak in me that quickly looks at what is missing - it reflects my background - I constantly search and aim for an increasingly higher standard of things around me. I say 'sadly' because it can be painful to be like that; but this is the way I want to be, because on the flip side comes  the exhilaration of very intense enjoyment.

On the above blog, I make the comment:

"I find what is said here deeply disturbing."

and "the statements you make, cause my hair to stand on end – so to speak."

So what's the problem? It is my gut reaction to the following statements:

"It is another thing entirely to kill animals in cold blood, in the name of scientific research. We all know that difference, it is why the US justice system differentiates between murder in the first degree (premeditated) and in the second (not). It is why sociopaths are so scary.


A society that treats animals as resources to use when it suits them is a sociopathic society, an unethical, immoral society. "

Now comes the logic - Why do I have this gut feeling?

The first thing is to try and unpick what the words mean.

I believe very strongly that I need to treat all life around me with respect. I do not believe that humans have "God given rights" to look at themselves as a special case in the world of the living. In fact, standing back at looking at the span that the earth will be in existence we will be part of it for what will seem like a spit second. Beetles, I believe will be still thriving when all trace of animals that resemble humans have long gone.

However in my understanding of the words, respect does not preclude "Killing in cold blood" and hence the use of animals in scientific research when this is thought necessary to for instance develop drugs.

"Killing in cold blood" is an emotive way of saying "devoide of emotions and using reason alone" but reason can lead us to take decisions that are extremely painful to us emotionally and should not be shirked for this reason.

I believe that we have some very caring thoughtful people who have in the past ( and who still continue) gone into work each day to inflict pain and hardship on animals in order to develop drugs that will save peoples lives. People who have witnessed people and children stricken down with terrible diseases so that they have devoted their lives to prevent this happening.

Thus I feel that it is unthoughtful and cruel to label these people as "sociopaths" and part of an unethical immoral society.

On the other hand - and in practice this is a very complex question - there are many many cases where humans are not treating animals with respect - where there is no moral justification if we believe we all have equal rights. Inflicting pain for food and for research for trivial products as in food using battery growth of hens, pigs, fish and the superficial use of cosmetics.

I'm still trying to sort my thoughts out - but this is a start.

Some may say that I'm being nitpicky as what is said us "in the name of scientific research" but later on I understand the meaning to be all scientific research.

I believe one needs to be very careful with broad generalisations.

Sadly the above detracts from the main thrust of what is said. Something I firmly believe in. What I read on the animal aid web site is something I for the most part support.

You will find it even stranger when I admit that I share the doubts of a friend of mine who questions the validity of animal testing research.

So lets speak out firmly but with a respectful attitude to everyone concerned: both animals and humans.

My thinking continued: -

Gut reactions are something to be treasured. One often finds it difficult to unpick what rational basis they are based on.

They reflect our deepest emotions which have developed over our whole lives. We act by them all the time. They are based on the summation of the combination of doing and thinking, thinking and doing: an endless cycle.

The person writing the blog in question is no doubt very talented as I said at the beginning but the thoughts expressed in this recent blog are consistent with previous postings. For me, they reflect what is going on in the mind of someone who lacks focus.

Why have previous threads been abandoned ?

Surely to develop a healthy mind which is at peace with itself, one needs to take small steps at a time and gradually build up over a lifetime a life style that is as consistent as possible.

What I see here is a series of massive targets that are then abandoned because they are unattainable. Result, one lives a life of failure.

For me one sets targets that are 95% attainable all the time. Success then leads to increased confidence to tackle gradually more and more difficult goals.

What I witness is someone trying to climb Everest when Hoad would be more appropriate.

For instance, on the issue of treating animals, can't we settle for something like supporting the existing fight with TescoTesco and then move on to the Co-op to improve its standards.

For our own sanity we need to tackle problems where we can achieve a result rather than battle with windmills.

3 comments:

Geertje said...

You make many different points in this post - which makes me want to say that calling me lacking in focus is a bit rich!
However, it is partly true. That is why I feel the need to blog, it helps me to clarify my thoughts. Do not expect to find everything all ready formed and perfected there.

I deleted my old blog because I changed my mind about wanting to put that out in the public domain. I don't see anything wrong with changing my mind about things, do you?

You also call it cruel and thoughtless of me to say that people who perform lab experiments on animals are sociopaths. I said no such thing. I said a society in which things like that are condoned is sociopathic. I now think that sociopathic was the wrong word to use - how can a society be anti-social after all? Perhaps the phrase 'spiritually cold and barbaric at heart' would more accurately convey my meaning.

And how can a person that is so caring about (a particular group of) humans cause such harm to other forms of life? Is it possible to truly care for one form of life and yet treat another as if it were of no consequence? Is true compassion something that can be switched on and off? And if it is, what worth does it really have?

Nor do I believe that the end justifies the means. If that were the case, why is it wrong to perform the same kind of experiment on humans? Or do you not think that it is? What is the difference between humans and animals according to you, that makes it all right to use unconsenting animals to try and find cures for human diseases, but not (in like for like experiments) unconsenting humans?

In addition, nowhere on my blog does it say that it focusses on the positive things in life. Perhaps I mentioned that in my former blog (though I believe that was the focus of a single post, not the whole thing), this blog is merely an outlet for my thoughts and creative endeavours. I have placed no constraints on the kind of thoughts I will be expressing.

You imply that I am fighting windmills, that my targets are unattainable. Again, that's a bit rich coming from you, a person who is constantly setting himself huge tasks and wearing himself out trying to achieve them (often with success I must add).
I don't believe the target I set myself is unattainable at all. I merely said I would try and shop and consume meat more ethically. It's harder than climbing Hoad, but certainly not an Everest. And anyway, what a boring old world it would be if everyone contented themselves with climbing the Hoad.

And finally, you say "respect does not preclude 'killing in cold blood'". Really? Really?

Geoff Dellow said...

Thanks for that Geertje.

I could clarify what I meant but don't think this is the place.

At least we have both said what we want and yes writing does help clarify our thoughts particularly when people argue back.

If you think there is a benfit in my answering your points, I'm happy to do so.

Geoff Dellow said...

I've a busy day ahead and I'm trying to get my brain in gear after a broken night.

It is clear to me that I have made a mistake in commenting on theme of the blog. It is not "Focussing on the positive" but "Thoughts and Songs".

I've therefore corrected the text of my posting and the title given to the blog on the right.