Tuesday 3 December 2013

This cheered me up!

How can this miserable message cheer me up?

I find that if I'm feeling low, reading about someone far worse off makes you sit up a take stock of just how fortuneate we are.

I suspect there are are many who have felt as low as this person describes. It a discription of someone feels no hope. A description of of someone who was broken two years ago. Apparently no longer.

It's a sad reflection of the world, here in the UK, that some people live in. My situation goes absolutely nowhere near. As a result I feel really good. Very thankful that I'm not or ever have been in a similar situation.



Geoff -

On Christmas Day 2011, I sat on my sofa by myself in a freezing cold flat with no television, no presents, no food in the fridge. I was unemployed, broke, and broken. I hadn't bought a single present for my one-year-old son, and instead let him go to his father’s, knowing I could not give him a Christmas myself.

This year, I’m lucky that things are different for me. But I know thousands of people will have a hungry Christmas with empty cupboards and no presents. More than 60,000 people, three-times more than last year, will visit a foodbank for free groceries because they can't afford to feed themselves.

I don’t think this is acceptable in the seventh richest country in the world. That’s why I’ve started a petition calling for Parliament to debate the causes of UK hunger -- and to ask why, in modern Britain, foodbank use is escalating so rapidly. Please join me and sign the petition here.

I was referred to my local foodbank for help by a Sure Start children's centre, after staff noticed that my son and I always had seconds and thirds of the free lunch they provided.

This Christmas, my son and I will have food on the table. But thousands won’t. It’s not just the festive season -- 350,000 people received three-days emergency food from foodbanks between April and September this year.

Please sign my petition calling for a parliamentary debate. We need to stop turning a blind eye and come together to make politicians confront what is happening.

In the words of Desmond Tutu: "There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they're falling in."

Thank you,
Jack

Sign my Petition

No comments: