Saturday 28 February 2009

Town Mess Clear Up


Congratulations to Andrew, as reported in the Evening Mail, for having the energy to campaign about dog mess. It's great to have people in our town who will get up and actually do something rather than just moan.

However Cllrs Brenda Marr and Colin Hodgson will know that their statements are just hot air and will achieve absolutely nothing.

It's no use relying on SLDC to catch the bad dog owners (and they are very much in the minority - a few dogs can create a lot of mess). The officers go around in bright yellow jackets and can be seen a mile off!

What will change things in my view are two things:

Speak out ourselves whenever we see someone leaving a mess - hand them a bag and ask them to pick it up if necessary. Second - not so pleasant - pick it up ourselves.

As someone who enjoys walking other people's dogs, I regularly do both! If I'm picking up my mess, then I pick someone else's at the same time.

If Brenda and Colin are really genuine then let them join me on a Town Mess Clear Up. I'll give £100 to charity of their choice if they do - and they can wear bright yellow coats so that everyone will notice them (as they did in Kendal) if they please!

Lets see our Councillors be seen to DO SOMETHING !

The only one who I imagine would take up such a challenge would be Cllr Colin Williams - he knows how to get his hands dirty when necessary.

How about it Cllr Col ?

That would impress me - not hot air coming out of ineffective poodles - but fire coming out of dragons that bite.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I reported a women on the park estate a while ago,i rang sldc i told them where they live and what time they always take the dog out.This women is like clock work,she comes out of her flat on rydal road between 12 and 12 30 she walks over the road and lets her dog crap on the grass then goe's back inside and polishes off another bottle of ale.She them comes out at 3pm again does' the same,i told sldc this because kids play on the grass she lets her dog shit all over and fails to clean it up.Now have the council caught her,no cause she's still doing the same i don't even think the council have looked into it,i live on the estate and never ever seen them down there

Anonymous said...

What about getting the 2 wastes of space aka plastic police to do something ? get them to follow dog walkers and make sure they pick up .

Geoff Dellow said...

To Anonymous one:

Please send me an email with specific details.

You'll have to trust me not to reveal who you are - but i won't.

What I will do is follow it up and find out exactly what they propose to do about it and publish what they say here without revealling details.

I've had enough - as you may have gathered - of ineffective government and thick I can come across to the authorities as a no nonsense kind of guy who doesn't rant but means business.

Go on then give me something to chase while I'm brioght eyed and bushy tailed - you never know it might not last long - one the other hand . . . it might!

Geoff Dellow said...

To Anonymous 2:

I genuinely believe these police officers (whatever they're called) do really try. But just you imagine trying to catch someone wearing bright yellow. I'm told this is their uniform and they have to wear it.

Having said this, there is a guy that is supposed to go around in blue - will follow up!

Geoff Dellow said...

Too bad about the spelling!

Not my strong point, but hey, I survive . . . .