Sunday 11 April 2010

A novel approach mentioned on Andrew Marr this morning

Instead of voting for people, why not vote for their policies?

Apparently you can do so with this unusual site which gives you the option of choosing which policies you prefer and then finding out which party is the closest match.

At present this site is busy and may take a while to load. As far as I can make out the organisation is voluntary and I assume independent. I imagine the result could be influenced by the way the choices are expressed.

The result of the present pole of nearly 80,000 survey completions (More precisely 79,169 at 18:54 today Sun 11th) are:

  • Bottom : BNP with 9.5 %
  • next : UKIP 10.9 %
  • next believe it or not : Conservatives 16.1 %
  • next : Labour with 17.0 %
  • next :Lib Dems 18.0%
  • Top astonishingly : Green Party clearly ahead with 28.4%
Have a look for yourself and see how much the figures are changing as more and more people get to know about this site. Labour went down a notch as I wrote the above!

Now, will the result influence how you vote?

Can we stop saying as does the press, "The future Prime Minister will be Brown or Cameron"

It could be someone I haven't heard of from the Greens - I did say could, because we don't trust others to vote based on policies and maybe are too willing to listen to the media rather than be guided by reason. . . .

What do you think?

5 comments:

lakeuk said...

In the end my survey results came back that my views were split evenly across 4 parties including the top 3.

Geoff Dellow said...

Great to have your feedback.

Did you think the questions were biased?

I've yet to have a go!

lakeuk said...

The questions just stat policies a party has given, it you've watched/read alot of news this week then you maybe able to workout which of the top 3 parties with policy is.

You can tell that a policy belongs to a small parties are as the policies get repeated.

G.M. said...

I 'voted' for a mix of parties, but not a single policy from either Labour or Conservatives.

The bile-filled BNP policies were very easy to spot, but I didn't think there was any bias there.

Surprised that I was matched with a couple of UKIP policies - not a party I would have ever considered to have anything to do with my views. Others selected were Greens and Lib Dems. Still no idea who I'll vote for though.

Have you had a go yet Geoff?

Geoff Dellow said...

I'm flat out doing many things and haven't got round to doing the survey.

Going to listen to Nick Clegg now with Paxman barking at his heels