Wednesday 5 May 2010

The Greens are still at it!

Can one of the Greens please explain the rationale for running such a good campaign in an area where they have no hope of winning.

Furthermore they have someone who comes close - but not close enough I agree - to what they want - Rabone , Liberal. He, with a good hard push, could get in. Sadly the Liberals here seem to be a dozy lot and haven't campaigned half as well as they could. The Greens far outclass them - however:

I had got the impression that the Greens were an intelligent and farseeing lot. But no.

This is the trouble with party politics; people are encouraged to be blind and just vote for their party - it's a nice simple mantra.

Why can't they be more farseeing and work together with others that have very similar interests, instead of spitting the vote.

This happened when I ran for County. Had the Liberals and Greens voted for me when I was standing for all they wanted, then I would have got in.

But no they vote for others who got less than me and none of us got in.

People seem incapable of using their heads and thinking clearly.

It will be interesting to see how close Rabone gets and whether if you add the Green vote this would have tipped the balance.

The Labour guy is in my opinion a waste of time as a person - Just parachuted in to win a relative safe seat, but no experience of life to speak of - a real yes man and the Tory is no better with little drive of his own - just a cog in a machine.

What will happen at the next local elections?

Who will stand against me when I stand for the Town and District Councils as I plan to, at the next opportunity. And which area, if any, will want me?

I certainly don't plan to make all the effort I did last time. I reckon I can spend the time - a whole year I spent - more effectively actually doing things for the town with others than trying to get myself elected!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes you are by your track record you achieve things you are a decent fellow keep away from nasty politics and on the fringe
at our age fly like free spirits to lift
Jimneny Cricket
Your aye
Alban

Anonymous said...

Sleep well you should be proud
Ulverstons Action Man

Geoff Dellow said...

Not sure that I can cope with this adulation.

My reasoning is that with access to local government officers with a mandate from the electorate one has a lot more clout to bring people together who have the power and influence to get things happen.

I've already seen this in small ways through direct contacts with officers even without the Cllr label. With one I'm imagining a lot more possibilities.

Anonymous said...

You can attend council meetings as a member of the public you should request it more often and make some toes curl

Geoff Dellow said...

I do quite regularly.

Once I went through the whole meeting and didn't request to speak.

They were quite uneasy.

It's great as you can also just go for twenty minutes at the beginning - have your say and make off back home.

They don't appear to listen but you never know - a little rubs off somewhere.

Might pop along and ask what their view is on the Crooked Tesco Parking Sign removal.

Most people seem to have been in favour of it - even people in authority who might never say so in public!

Do your honours believe that this is the way for future dealings with a recalcitrant County Council Highways Department?

Anonymous said...

If the Greens run a good campaign and get a healthy share of votes this time then more might be persuaded to vote for them next time. Who knows? The party with the best policies might even get elected one day...

If we go down the line of pragmatic voting only for parties who have a realistic chance of getting in we end up with a two party system with no real choice at all. Some would say the Lib Dems don't have any hope of winning, so you should vote Labour or Conservative.

You shouldn't sacrifice your principals so easily, or ask others to do the same. You're essentially asking for the Greens to stop existing & magically transfer their supporters to another party.

Geoff Dellow said...

All this sounds plausible, but for me, as you might expect, unconvincing.

I am not sacrificing any principles by holding Green views and voting Liberal.

Set your eyes clearly on a goal and ask yourself "How do I get there?"

There is an outside chance of the Liberals getting in here - or there would have been had they shown a lot more get up and go.

To me they show themselves as having very little self-conviction. They don't come across as fighters. Whilst the Greens do.

I offered to help them campaign but they couldn't get round to it. Piss up in a Brewery comes to mind.

No my argument runs. Give Clegg as many votes across the country even if they are 'wasted'. He can then claim more strongly that PR needs to be put in place to be fair.

"Fair" and "Honest" are the buzz words at the moment and I can't believe any government will be able to resist it in the next session.

Then with PR the Greens start having a substantial say. With 2% of the seats in parliament they could have 12 quality MPs in next time round and start to get their policies across bigtime.

Quality is the important word and from what I've seen their candidates are likely to be this. It's my belief that the amount of quality is inversely proportional to the number of seats held.

People have to have a lot about them to swim hard upstream against popular lack of thinking. Hence the quality that is to be found in the Liberals and the lack of it in Labour and Tory.

Quality : Brown policies great choice of people abysmal - Mandleson, Balls etc.

Conservatives : Gould - good ideas who else? Cameron and Osborne very shallow opportunists - your typical say-little-shout-a-lot, run-the-others-down, vote-for-change politicians.

If you compare the average MP with the average industrialists who are managing the same budget you see the gulf in ability and sincerity.

So Vote Liberals this time and stick with your thought out principles of using the best vehicle to get you where you want to go possible. We do it in real life when we travel; why not now?