Sunday 21 November 2010

Many Ulverstonians will be disappointed

If they were to miss this event next Friday, November 26th at 7:30pm

It is a musical evening to celebrate the life of Joe Harrison, who died of cancer in May, aged 77.

Joe was, foremost,  a well loved man. He always had a postive outlook on life even when in pain.

Some of us had the memorable experience of having had close contact with his strength and warmth.

As a physiotherapist, practicing in Theatre Street he had cause to help me with neck pains many years ago.

He grasped my head firmly against his chest with one arm and my body with the other and gave a frm swift yank - as though attempting to lift my head off my shoulders. He succeeded in relieving the pain by separating the two momentarily.

An experience at close quarters.

 I always enjoyed talking to him as he remained positive in spite of the pain in his legs and listening to him as he played in the Town Band.

The memorial concert at the St Mary’s Catholic Church in Victoria Road, Ulverston is something I look forward to. It will be a great reminder of one of the friendliest and most sincere people I have known in Ulverston over the years.

No comments: