Sunday 28 November 2010

Should everyone have the opportunity of an education

Yes.

Now by education here I include training.

But for me the real and important meaning of education is not training not learning to be an engineer, writer, doctor, media studies or whatever.

No for me it is being encouraged and taught to think and question. Most important it is being helped to learn how to learn.

At my degree ceremony I remember distinctly being exhorted by the wise person (I think it was Anthony Eden) :

Now I had demonstrated the ability to learn, to  consider my degree as the beginning of my education not the finishing post.

Ever since then I have continued to learn and do so even today - in a very determined way.

However I do not believe there is any obligation  for a student to earn more money than to fulfil his obligations.

Some very wise young friends of mine are deliberately earning the least  possible money in order to live the life they have chosen. In some cases this means only working one , two or three days a week so as to spend time on other none earning activities.

Others work hard doing a job they love that brings in very little - maybe below the minimum wage per hour.

I chose to work like this for fifteen years with a lot of enjoyment.

It is difficult to judge what a student is learning.

The fact that they don't even gain a degree of itself may not be a mistake. If they have learnt an important lesson in the process of failing this could be enough.

I am reminded that for most of my life I have been able to teach myself all I needed. The only reason to go back to universtity was to gain another qualification. In the process I learnt some useful things but also spent much time kicking against what I was being taught and going my own way. This is perhaps why I was refered to as an exceptionally good teacher by someone who has a lot of respect in education circles.

For me the student owes the country nothing other than to think carefully and thoroughly once he/she has fulfilled any obligations he has undertaken.

If he choses to earn no more money and yet is a burden to no one then he is doing us all a great service by living amongst us.

This can be his part in helping his country - a very important part.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree entirely Not everything in life can be judged in monetary terms like raising a fmily. It certainly wouldnt get the banks approval in a business plan!

Geoff Dellow said...

My, some other ' nutter' is up at 5 am in the morning.

Perhaps we're the guys and think 'out of the box' and have fun.

"It's no good" I said to my bed buddy at 4:45 am "I've got to get up to get something done".

"Go for it" she said "as long as it's not going out clearing snow"

"It is" I said.

A man gotta do what a man's gotta do!

If I get two tracks down the steep part of the lane for vehicles before anyone else drives on the road, then we'll all be able to drive up and down easily.

"It will only take me 15 minutes"

Now it's done and I'm writing this with a hot cuppa!

Anonymous said...

Well done you are a fine fellow I was up at that time.
Early to bed early to rise.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a salt box for your lane ?

Geoff Dellow said...

No.

But then you don't need one if you sweep off the snow.

Sweeping is far less time consuming and extremely low carbon!

Salt isn't.

Anonymous said...

Wales free, Scotland free,
England pay Sending pic of Cleggs signed promise
JAK