Monday 4 May 2009

Politicians

As I enter this unpleasant world, I quake in my boots!

I've always been wary of this environment and wonder how I will cope.

Watching both the Labour and Conservatives makes me sympathise with those that want nothing to do with these shenanigans.

The Media doesn't help with its obsession for a story. Always trying to provoke an MP into some revelation of their unthought-yet thoughts.

The way the leading Labour figures fall prey to these approaches reveals what shallow people some of them are. The Conservatives have no reason to be disloyal but if the tables were turned, one suspects they would be exactly the same.

If I look around for people I respect then I have to investigate the Liberals with Vince Cable prominent - only because of the focus on the economy. There are many others who take impressive stands on various issues.

I cannot however comprehend the local Liberal campaigners who put winning seats for the party above honesty.

Last SLDC council election, a friend of mine was a candidate who found they were having their publicity written for them and found that that they had views they had never expressed. The party machine of "this is how we get you elected" had taken over.

This reminds me where advertising in a South American country allegedly resulted in a brand of toothpaste getting the largest block of votes - a story I can't back up with a Google search!

Tim Farron is one I respect. He illustrated his reliability when he resigned form the inner Nick Clegg circle on a matter of principle.

Other politicians that stand out are Shirley Williams and Claire Short who say what they think, loud and clear.

Hopefully this is a characteristic that I can emulate though I need to take care with the Claire model !

No comments: