Friday 8 May 2009

Witch Hunt

For the Newspapers to bother reporting Gordon Brown's cleaning expenses is pathetic, but for the Guardian to feature this 'revelation' on the frontpage shows what kind editors we have selecting the news we are being fed.

Just stop and assess this information:

£6, 600 paid a cleaner over 26 months, that's £66 per week - £13 per day. Just how little do they think a cleaner should be paid, for God's sake.

This story that goes in the National press and on prime time TV News illustrates how irresponsible the media is being. What idiots do they take us for?

Leave Brown alone to get on with his job.

Let's be clear at the beginning - before I am elected as County Councillor. I shall be claiming for a taxi if it enables me to do the job of county councillor better. Though I enjoy driving, if I am faced with driving home over long distances after a long day of getting people to listen to me and taking in what they are saying, I shall use a taxi.

I shall not car share as this will put even greater strain on my patience to have to endure the company of pompous idiots.

What I see as being an efficient way of working is to have someone else taking care of getting me from 'A' to 'B', leaving me to write emails, make phone calls or just plain sleep.

If a County Councillor is doing his job properly he/she is managing the efficient spending of millions of pounds and needs to be enabled to do this in every way possible. Criticism is only justified if the councillor is not doing their job well. This is where the media should target its stories.

And before you start criticising the above, take note of the following:

At present a Councillor cannot claim for journeys for more than a set rate per mile in a car as though they were driving their own. Thus when I use a taxi - which I certainly will - it will be me that pays for most of the cost under the present rules.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hypocrite! If you were as concerned about global warming as you say you are, you would use public transport.

You could even spend the time on the bus talking to members of the local community and save sleeping until you get home. And if you have work to do, you can use a laptop or mobile just as easily on the bus or train. It's not like the proles are going to mob you.

On the plus side, with this "I know people are going to criticise what I do, but stuff them" attitude, you will fit right in at the council. The very least you could do is give it a try.

Anonymous said...

How far do you think it is to kendal ffs,why a taxi drive yourself don't be so lazy next you'll be wanting a limo.You won't need to worry cause there's no way on this earth you'll be voted in.

Geoff Dellow said...

1. It's a question of priorities. The most important thing to me is to get as much done in the day and in the most effective way.

I already manage to pack in a lot of varied activity into a day. As you'll see from this blog, I'm often active as early as 5 to 6 am :using the internet to research topics; replying to emails; questioning officials.

I then get exercise and relax going on to one of my activities with people - pottery and debating groups. Then spending time with people who appreciate support.

2. For contact with the Ulverston public, I hope to run a market stall as I've done in the past.

3.I will of course have many meetings to attend both locally; at Kendal; at Carlisle, Whitehaven etc. To reach these I shall use a combination of transport - foot, cycle, car, bus, taxi and train - which ever makes the most sense.

4. I'm declaring myself now to make it clear at the outset so that if you object strongly you can do something about it and not vote for me.

I intend to be open about what I do and welcome criticism.

So what have I actually done in the last year that offends you. Let's deal with actions and not fairy tales.

Now I'm off to get ready for a four hour stint of knocking at doors and talking to people - 5 till 9 pm every week day.

Anonymous said...

if you knock on my door i will set the dog on you

Geoff Dellow said...

I bet that won't be true.

People like you are good at making idle threats but fail to carry them through.

I suspect that you will be quite different when you meet a real person rather than the one you imagine me to be.

Anonymous said...

we don't need you we can just use this site,i've had plenty of luck with it http://www.fixmystreet.com/?pc=ulverston

Geoff Dellow said...

This is good news.

How effective is it?