Tuesday 31 August 2010

Stan Laurel's influence?

There's something in our water.

It set Stan off on his humourous life - even though he only got a few sips in the eight weeks he was here.(I'm wrong - he was drinking it by the gallon until he was six I understand)

Incredible though it may seem:

The workmen repairing the setts in The Gill, Ulverston, were told last Friday to 'rip there own work up' (to use Evening Mail headline speak) and do it again.

Not that they have done poor work - it was excellent - but because the County Council have now decided to do the whole lot and not just do patches.

This was something that definitely needed doing and my statement, that I would be repairing future damage straight away - and not waiting a whole year as I did this last time, may have influenced them (? - Highly unlikely but you never know).

So this morning when I talked to the workers they were fed up at the thought of digging their work up in order to achieve a uniform and attractive result.

They are starting at one end and working all the way along to reset all the setts.

The Council must be congratulated for making this brave decision.

2 comments:

offshore contacts said...

8 weeks? Got that wrong Geoff, he was here longer than that, have you not visited the museum?

Geoff Dellow said...

Yes I clearly did. Thanks for pointing it out.

Memory is not my strong point.

Now corrected.