Monday 23 August 2010

The Visit Cumbria website

This site was started some 13 years ago - see http://www.visitcumbria.com/sitehistory.htm for a detailed history of the site and a bit about me.

Initially it was a hobby - for my own pleasure - and trying to fill a gap as there was little tourist info for Cumbria in general at that time.

There is no relationship between me and the tourist board who I think see me as opposition rather than a help.

About 3 years ago I decided to try and make some money from this by adding accommodation, places to eat etc, and compiled a list of all I could find - wrote to them all and got an almost zero response for advertising on the site.
I guess junk mail is not the best means - and I didn't have the time to ring around - this is not my main job - so that faltered a bit!

Recently a colleague of mine who has more time and more enthusiasm for telephone use has helped get more businesses to sign up, and is continuing in that effort.

Several other Cumbrian people have contributed photos and text - simply because they like what I am doing and are doing their bit to improve it - same reasons - its a hobby which has a useful end product.

I intend to keep this going as long as I keep going - and at some point will make some form of 'will' to hand it on to someone else should I not be in a position to do so myself. It is a valuable resource -and is improving daily as more and more gets added to it.

One colleague who lives in Kendal has documented the town in enormous detail - see http://www.visitcumbria.com/sl/kendal.htm .

So - should you wish to use this site as a basis for promoting Ulverston - I am happy to help and promote as you see best - expanding on what I have done already. There could be a separate Ulverston Menu - listing and linking to all one wants to know abou the town - a website within a website. This could have its own name if you like - eg www.visitulverston.com which is available - that just links to this section on visitcumbria.

As for businesses - there is an accommodation section on the Ulverston page, and there could be a places to eat list, and a places to shop, and a list of tradespeople. See the Food and Drink, and Trades listing off the top menu. There could be specific ones from the Ulverston page if there were enough entries to make it worthwhile.

I have come up with a price of 86 pounds per year per detailed entry for the accommodation listing, with non payers just getting basic contact details (no weblink or email addess).

See http://www.visitcumbria.com/eat-cockermouth.htm for an example of places to eat in the Cockermouth area. (I am based in Cockermouth).

For businesses - I haven't discussed this yet with my colleague Vanessa who is looking after the marketing and advertising side of this - but there could be a reduced rate perhaps for a halfway type ad for businesses other than accommodation.

The 86 pound ad gets a brief description and pic and higher ranking in the listings, and on the detail page up to 6 pics and (within reason as much text as you want. Every page representing a place of interest -
say Wordsworth House for example - http://www.visitcumbria.com/cm/wordsworth-house.htm
has an option at the bottom for other places nearby -
which lists them, gives a map, and also lists any accommodation providers within the requested area.

Ongoing improvements are taking place all the time to the general appearance and features of the website, as I either have time to do it or funds to pay others to do it.

So - discuss this with your colleagues - and let me know what the outcome is - I'm sure I can offer something which promotes the town and its businesses, for an economic benefit to those businesses.

Best regards - Julian Thurgood.

ps - I am in the process of renaming all the pages and links from them - to give higher rankings in google, and upping the sizes of the pictures - in itself a major task.
see http://www.visitcumbria.com/sl/ulverston.htm

Geoff - further to my previous message - there could be an events section just for Ulverston
- I have just found this - which looks pretty comprehensive - we could just link to that -
http://www.ulverstoncouncil.org.uk/events.php

And likewise an index of pics of regular events or festivals that take place - assuming someone has some suitable pics of previous events.

And anything else which is felt to be of interest - if somebody can provide the info - walks in the area, history of the area, etc etc.

Julian

I could offer a front page promo for the (still to be created) Ulverston main page - see http://www.visitcumbria.com/
there may be many visitors to this site who have never heard of Ulverston!

Julian

13 comments:

Gladys Hobson said...

As much as fireworks are enjoyed, is much thought given to the hell animals suffer because of them? At one time, it was just once a year. Now they are set off the year round — any excuse, any party, any celebration.
And millions a year gone up in smoke!

The less you have of something pleasant, the more it is enjoyed!

Gladys Hobson said...

When I have time, and if they are wanted, I have photographs of walks we have taken around Ulverston area (through the bluebell woods, looking out to the bay, down into town, over towards the Coniston range etc . Along Gill banks — all seasons, and the canal with scenery and wild life. Plus Plumpton. It is worth coming to Ulverston just for the walks alone!

Anonymous said...

A little less of you Gladys would make life much more enjoyable.
I loved the seven min's of extravagance! Divide the bill by the number of people who enjoyed it. Must be the best value for money the town has had for years.
Re'opening the monument was not just any excuse it was an important day very well done by hardworking volunteers A TOP SHOW.
The Red Arrows were all that was missing.
JAK

Geoff Dellow said...

As someone who has close connections with cats and dogs may I comment on fireworks.

This is a lot to do with the closeness of the relationship between animal and human. My experience is that animals, like children, can be calmed and reassured by the presence and attitude of adults.

I have never come across an animal that experiences "hell"; the worse I've seen is animals that want to be inside making for their favourite refuge and need reassurance from their close human mates.

They quickly recover when the bangs cease.

Geoff Dellow said...

Photos of walks can certainly be of value. A friend of mine is trying out a local web site that enables people to record their photographic record of walks

Perhaps you'd like to try it too.

I can help with using this site if you need help. the guy running it is very helpful.

Gladys Hobson said...

Re Fireworks. Clearly, Geoff you have had little experience of the suffering of animals. It is a few years since our last dog died. The first thing we knew about when fireworks were let off was our dog racing to a corner and quivering like a jelly, her eyes wild with fear. She would not eat or drink or be comforted. It would go on well into the following day. The slightest noise and she would fly to her retreat. Sometimes a pitiful howl would sound in the night. Eventually she had fits. Ask any vet. Many animals have to have tranquilisers.
Our previous dog hated the bangs too. Believe me she suffered all right. It was the same with thunder. It's the big bangs that cause the fear. No doubt inbred for thousands of years. Do fireworks have to have the huge bangs? Ask any dog owner. I have been told by cat owners that their pets suffer too.
At one time fireworks could only be sold at certain times and for special occasions. The Monument celebration is fine in this regard.
I am not a killjoy, But, like all things in life, you can have too much of a good thing, and nothing is special any more. Much wants more. The fireworks at the weekend were lovely. I would like them kept for these special events on the calendar. That is all I wished to say.
Thank you, JAK for your unkind words. It is nice to know what people think about us.
I used to be quietly involved in a number of things in this town, and that work was much appreciated by those concerned. Nothing that went with a 'bang' or flying banners so you would not have noticed. But you are entitled to your opinion, even though you know nothing whatsoever about me and it is unlikely that we have ever met.

I'll look into the photograph business shortly, Geoff.
Right now I'm brain fatigued by trying to get a new web site into some kind of order with all the photographs I'm putting on it. I've been working on it for a few days to get it right. It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks, especially when I know so little about computers. But I'll be happy to put the photographs of our walks on that web site if possible.

Geoff Dellow said...

I suspect, your dog was exceptional.

Having had a lot of contact with many dogs and cats in my life, I've never come across this extreme. I've known animals that come inside with fireworks and may lie low while they are exploding. However like dealing with children, we can easily transfer our fears onto others.

I love thunderstorms and lightening. Going onto Birkrigg in the car with my son in the middle of a really good thunderstorm to watch the lightening all over the bay was one the highlights of our joint experience; even more so than the best fireworks display as the size and position of the next thunder clap and forked lightening made the experience a little frightening and the more memorable.

We are all different and I don't like generalisations that needlessly prevent one section of society from doing somewhat outrageous things.

We'll be stopping singing in the New Year because it will disturb the kids, next.

Anonymous said...

Are gundogs dogs? You are right it is down to the trainer/owner.
The "unkind words" were written by an outspoken lady called Mmmmm
Gladys!
"The less you have of something pleasant, the more it is enjoyed"!

I strive to make my life and life of others pleasant !
Gladys perhaps you are famous for your sense of humour, a giggler or as a hoot at a party
No offence meant.
I am glad you can still Tee Hee
Geoff despite.
JAK

Gladys Hobson said...

Do you think we are a lot of 'scared of the dark' quivering jellies? Storms can be exciting. I have no fear of big bangs and I didn't have any when bombs dropped during the war. So how could we have passed on such fears?
Gun dogs are bred as such. Guns crack loudly but don't boom. A lot of fireworks don't boom and are just as enjoyable.
Stop singing in the new year — a rather silly comparison don't you think? Have it your way. I merely expressed an opinion.
As Geoff said, bloggers waste time. It certainly is a waste of time commenting, I'll make better use of it.
As for you, Geoff, I would love you to do something outrageous, rather than just talk talk. The pottery is not controversial, neither is anything you do (as far as I can see).
If you desire to cycle naked through the centre of Ulverston why not? I like folk doing what they fancy as long as it does not hurt anyone. We could all do with a good giggle occasionally.
By the way, I love that piggy video you did. And I thought it really funny what someone put on their blog — that you were talking to Gladys. Now that was rude but witty.
Enough, I'll not be dropping in again — work to do.

Anonymous said...

You can train a dog not to be scared of fireworks & loud bangs. One common method is to get a CD with these sounds on it and playing it regularly when the dog is around.

Start with it almost inaudible and gradually increase the volume whilst ignoring the dog and carrying on as normal. Takes a little patience and you have to put up with the sound of jackhammers and explosions going off in your living room for a bit, but it's worth it for the dog. Our dog was very timid as a puppy and ran for cover at any unexpected noise, but with training he now hardly bats an eyelid at fireworks or thunder.

Geoff Dellow said...

Isn't amazing what we talk about under the topic of a website.

The wonders of the human butterfly mind.

Butterflies - did someone mention butterflies?

Have there been more around recently?

Fewer Bees. More butterflies.

I wonder how many caterpillars I've eaten along with the Curly Kale from the allotment?

What's a web site or is it website - as you notice I can't make my mind up!

Gladys Hobson said...

Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it on to others. Someone in my family has a dog suffering the same affliction. (Perhaps collies are similar in nature).
Unfortunately we will never have another dog, as much I miss them, because we are simply too old. I doubt I have got over our last one — she was very dear to me, a comfort, a friend, an exerciser, a sheer joy! So too the one before her, who obligingly fetched my slippers and loved to play. The manner of the last one's death still reduces me to tears.
I said I would not come back here and I must stick to it — I'm behind with jobs.
Thank you for taking the time to reply - that info will be helpful to others.

Gladys Hobson said...

All I know at the moment is that I am going batty trying to get photographs where I want them on my new book site. Oh for a gift of the ITML language (or have I got that wrong too?)