Wednesday 18 August 2010

Toursim - the views of some of our councillors

Mayor Phil Lister, Multi Councillor, James Airey (Town, District and County Councils) and Cllr Judy Pickthall who has been active regarding the TIC and the Town Market issues are all attending the meeting with the Tourism Community at the Lantern House next Monday at 5:30 pm

On Tuesday August 10th the day after my plea to the Council- From Town Councillor Colin Williams:

Hi Geoff, I thought you made some valid points last night. It's just so frustrating that we can't debate these issues brought up by the public at the time they are raised. I agree that the town needs to keep it's website up to date, otherwise there is no point in having a link to news, if the news is as old as you say. David Parrat has been updating pictures of the progress of the monument but you have to dig to know where these are.
The truth of the matter is that we don't have a person dedicated, or paid to gather all the touristy info together and then post it onto our site. DP is probably snowed under with other council stuff, especially whilst the monument has been ongoing.

If you have any ideas of how we could do things better then I'ld be happy to listen to them.

regards

Cllr Col

To which I immediately replied:

Cllr Colin Williams,

Thanks Colin, for your feedback. I'm encouraged that you thought that
I had made some valid points and that you regretted that there wasn't
an opportunity to debate the issues in the meeting.

I suggest that it would be a good thing to make sure that the topic
"The Town Council Support of Tourism in the Ulverston area" goes on
the agenda for the next Town Council meeting on Sept 4th.

I am finding that there is a lot of interest from those who benefit
from tourism - shops, restaurants and those providing accommodation.
Many of these will be attending this meeting to express their concerns.

They believe that The Town Council should do everything they can to
promote this important industry in the town.

There are two main concerns : the absence of a good web site and the
imminent withdrawal of SLDC support for our TIC.
I'm sure that those concerned will want to put their arguments forward
in writing before the meeting as well as emphasising their main points
at the beginning of the council meeting.

Can I assume that you will see that this item will be placed on the
agenda?

Geoff

Thursday 12 August Colin Williams replies:

Hi Geoff, I think that Ulverston community Partnership which is chaired by
Paul Jarvis have already been looking at a strategy for the future of
tourism.
As for your suggestion that I place your topic on the agenda for Sept 4th I
won't be doing that.
Yes I know you believe it is important but your asking me to bring an item
to the meeting I know very little about, and asking the council to support
tourism is a bit fluffy. I'm sure they all support tourism.
I'll have a think about this, chat to colleagues, and see if there is a more
constructive motion that we could discuss.
I'll also check out what UCP has been up to.

Colin

I have not heard anything further from Cllr Colin Williams

No comments: