Saturday 13 June 2009

Pole Vaulting

"Well, pole vaulting for height rather than distance was pioneered in the town of Ulverston – by members of the Football and Cricket Club in Cumbria in 1843."

I came across the link of Ulverston with Pole Vaulting when I was involved with the Town Mill Project in about 1976. The owner of the Mill in the past became a regular pole vaulting champion and I assumed he would have practiced by vaulting over the Town Beck in The Gill.

I hadn't realised he vault up as well!

4 comments:

offshore contacts said...

Cumbria geoff? It did not exist until 1974

Geoff Dellow said...

Not me , Mi'lord.

Tell that to Simon Turnbull who wrote the above in The Independent - the's a place for comments.

Better still, Tom, say something useful and relieve the boredom of watching paint dry!

Even Better get out there and enjoy the Sun: What am I doing here?

offshore contacts said...

I have enjoyed most of the day in the sun Geoff drinking coffee and shopping in Manchester (Lancashire)was fantastic.

Geoff Dellow said...

Glad to see someone's got the sense to get out and about.

Isn't it great how the sun brings everyone out on their doorsteps.

I can understand how it is that countries with more sun develop a very different culture to those without. Love to see some fountains working here in Ulverston (got the gear!)

I strolled about then watch Murray then weeded (We're on show as part of Ulverston in Bloom), later went knocking on a few doors again - just to get some feedback and understand what people are thinking!