Tuesday 2 June 2009

We live until we die

Most of us live as though we have a right to life.

As though it will go on for ever whilst at the same time taking every precaution possible that we don't die in a way we don't want to . .

Two events in the news remind me to renew my thinking.

The first is the disappearance of a plane full of passengers - we forget and ignore that life can end at anytime.

Somehow we try to live as though death will never happen when a small part of ourselves needs to take account that life could end in the next second.

Do we occasionally stop and take account of the fact that there is a giant eruption ready to take place in the mid west of America at Yellowstone. So big that it will wipe out millions directly and nearly all of the rest of us through starvation.

Scientist cannot predict when this will happen other than tell us that it will - sometime - next second or in 20,000 years.

The second is the murder of a very brave doctor that has been gunned down in the U.S. for his stand and practice of abortion.

Both these events remind me that it's how I live my life that is important.

It's length is not.

But then this could be because I'm 74 and have lived a lot!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck for tomorrow Geoff, i am looking forward to staying in this town with you running half of it.

Even if you do not come up trumps i hope you still continue to fight for people and do good things for our town.

All the best.

Geoff Dellow said...

Many thanks,

I'm tired but content - sipping a glass of wine - listening to Schubert.

I had a good crack at the election and met some great people who I'm looking forward knowing better.

This has been very satisfying.

For the record : I have no intention of running anything!

I hope I'll enable others do that!

That, I see as my role. .

.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Geoff. I doubt any other candidates would put half as much effort into the job.

The boat needs rocking a little, and it seems to me like you're the man to do it. Whether enough people can bear to vote for anyone but Labour or Conservative I don't know...

Anonymous said...

Ok Loved to ? your motives Best of luck you have my vote Gandi