Friday 1 October 2010

Is the world becoming more considerate to older people?

I'm convinced it is.

We'll not the world but certainly London.

I was very pleasantly surprised how often young people got up and offered me their seats as I used the buses in Central London yesterday.

I even got a bright friendly smile from a young woman as I past her on the pavement. (I enjoy looking straight at people as I approach them with a friendly bearing. Sometimes this provokes a smile or even a "Hi". It works too here in Ulverston. Contrary to belief  here on this blog, I get the impression that I'm liked)

It certainly makes you feel good.
My partner (female) also had several insistent offers of seats (three all together) which she declined explaining that she at 65 was happy to stand a while but after much merriment that rippled around the coach with lots of head turning she succumbed.

What a great atmosphere.

Is this really London?

What's going on?

My only explanation is that there are a lot of foreign students around who instinctively take care of their oldies.

Could it be that the foreign invasion of "immigrants" is having a very positive effect on our culture.

I'm looking forward to my next visit to London - wouldn't you?

Standing at the corner outside "Hewitt's" at the Market Square has a similar feel.

Here, I seem to be everyone's friend and get welcome comments for my fights with the council - well done - is a regular comment. Gives you a bit of confidence when taking on our politicians - feeling that most of Ulverston supports you.

One shop keeper's mother goes as far as stating:  "Anything that you do, I support ".

Now that's takings too far don't you think?

Or is that feel good factor spreading.

Join with us then for our candlelit walk up Gill Banks on Halloween it's going to be even more special this year.

With long lasting candles in jars which stay alight some ten hours in windy conditions there will be a longer period to enjoy the lights along Gill Banks and the woods. It could be quite spooky. Not a sight you will see again until maybe next year.

Good also to meet some friendly trick or treaters for a change. Dressing up as witches seems to be the norm for the adults and skeleton kids abound.

You may even meet one or more of the twenty odd people organising the event that has been discussed since November 1st last year.

What shall we do next year was the question - well you haven't too long to find out what next!

Isn't it great mixing with real people and forgetting the cardboard cut outs for a change!

No comments: